Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

First ever post and first ever tank.

Hey guys!! This is my first post and I am getting ready for my first tank. I have researced all kinds of fish. I first started off wanting a shark tank or a stingray tank but founf out quick that they were to much for a first timer as well as too big, costly, and not to mention time consuming.

I have now decided that I want a tank from 55-100 gallons. I want a good looking community tank that can be enjoyed by everyohne that enters my house.

The fish that I like are clowns, tangs, damsels so far. These are just what I have seen that are colorful and I think would go well together from what I have read.

My questions are below and any advice would be much appreciated.

1) What size tank can I get fully set up with everything I need to house these fish for around $500? This would not include the fish or live rock but it would include the pumps, tank, stand, heater, sand or rock surface, filter, and stuff like that.

2) How many fish can I fit in a tank from your answer above?

3) How can I make the tank fairly maintence free? I don't mind putting in a hour or 2 a week but more than that on cleaning would be a pain to find time for.

4) Is there anything I am forgetting to think about before I dive into this investment?

Thanks for the help.

T

Old 10-30-2005, 08:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
Are you going to add lr at all? That'll certainly make your bill go way up for a tank 55 gallons or up.

There isn't really a cheap sw tank. My 10 gallon cost over 200 dollars, after a while I just lost track.

There's filters, some people are really into it and will spend hundreds of dollars. Then lighting, for reefs it can go from 100-1000 dollars in most cases if your keeping corals or certain clams. Then salt, substrate,the tank itself, and all the other little stuff like medications and skimmers and stuff.

If you want fish most cost 20 dollars for the cheapest ones except for stuff like damsels. A lot of tangs run up to 40 dollars in some cases.

So unless your willing to pay a little more than 500 ecspecially in a tank like 100 gallons I don't think this is something you should do, well not yet anyways. If you buy just the basics you might get 500 dollars or less in expenses but that is still very unlikely.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Make sure to use ro/di water or you will be scraping alage off all the time.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you look around you can find tanks at a low price. I got my 55 gal with the stand and canopy for $125. I got all my powerheads for free from a guy I knew was taking his tank down. Another guy I know is taking some lr out of his tank to make room for more corals, so I even got about 25 lbs of lr for free. It's not impossible to start a tank for that amount of money, but you have to look around. In about 9 months, I have almost $2000 invested in my tank with lr, the tank and equipment, fish and inverts, and the basics like salt and foods. It's not a cheap hobby, but is worth while.

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I like what flaminghot said about losing track of the costs. I always tell my wife the same thing. LOL. Seriously though, you can start out good for $500, especially if you can find someone taking their setup down (or selling it complete). Then as time goes by, add some rock here, fish there, and before you know it youve got quite a system going.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thanks all

Andy I think you grasped best what I was trying to say but thanks for everyone advice.

I am not trying to get everything for $500. I know it will cost a lot and over time I am willing to sepend that money on it. What I do want to get for $500 is the tank and the basics. Then later I will add fish and LR and stuff like that. I think I explained that in my first message but maybe I did not.

Does anyone know a a good place onlie to start looking for stuff that I can buy like a tank or a stand?

What filters, skimmers, powerhead, stuff like that do you reccommend?

I am pretty much sure I am just going to go with a 55 gallon so how many of the different types of fish can I get in there?

Thanks for the help.

T
Old 10-31-2005, 11:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Ocicat
I'm very new to this, but everything I've read says that a 55 is much too small for a tang, because they really like a lot of swimming room. Just something to consider.

Ocicat
Old 11-01-2005, 12:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

55 is small for a tang. clowns, gobies, firefish, are all good options. I like the flame hawkfish. You have lots of options with a 55 that have not been mentioned yet.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What options are you talking about brendon? What about a puffer? Will it get along with a clown and some of the other fish? What about a trigger? How much room does it need.

I really just want 6 to 10 colorful fish that will look good in a tank that I don't have to do more than an hour of maintenance on a week.

I know it will take more than that when I first set it up but after that period an hour is all I really have time for.

What are some of your suggestions?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to joeybuzz2006
my tank is a 55, when I first started I was upgrading from a 29, I thought the 55 was a "BIG" Tank....I now wish For the extra hundred bucks I went with the 90 gallon tank....anyways 55 is a good starter, but trust me you will probably very fast outgrow the tank and want bigger.....so maybe go 75 or 90 right off the bat.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com