Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2002, 02:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

First Fish

Hi Blue Abyss, see you are from Florida also. I have never seen a Black Clown, but then I haven't been into this hobby very long. I would love to see a picture if you locate one.
Good Luck 8)

Old 07-13-2002, 07:01 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Bett, from the fish selected, I would recommend the angel go in first. Then the clowns and then the tang. So I guess I was worrying for nothing , if you go with a flame hawk, he will fit in anywhere in the order.

Jennifer, could you give me a body style to go on, or the name of the clowns that were "close"...Almost all clowns will turn black. It has to do with the melanistic response to certain anemones. The clowns you mentioned that were close, sound like A. polymnus, or A. sebae, or A. clarkii, those are the most prolific of the "black" clowns. There is also a black A. ocellaris commonly called a darwin fish. Take a look at this pic and tell me if it is close.... http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin...&postid=638617

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 11:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to BlueAbyss Send a message via MSN to BlueAbyss Send a message via Yahoo to BlueAbyss
that looks like the fish that are CLOSE to the one I saw, In the store he was not with an anemone and from what the store owner said he was not with one at the warehouse he got him from. that is the exact body style of the one at teh store, same striping patern but had absolutely no orange on him anywhere... not even that brownish orange on the face..
http://www.blueabyss.net/
BlueAbyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 11:07 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

that is a black ocellaris clown, I'm sure you simply want one that has matured out of any orange on it's face....Oh it was probably a genetic thing passed onb after lots of years in a certain region with certain types of anemones. Evolution is a grand thing isn't it....

Old 07-13-2002, 11:13 PM   #15

Send a message via ICQ to BlueAbyss Send a message via MSN to BlueAbyss Send a message via Yahoo to BlueAbyss
thanks, I will right that down
the pet store owner said he had never seen one before, but that he would talk tothe guy at the warehouse and see if he couldn't get him another one. any idea if they are compatable with a ritteri anemone?
Old 07-13-2002, 11:36 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Do you have a scientific name? H. magnifica is often called a ritteri in the trade. I have also seen Macrodactyla doreensis (LT anemone) listed as Radianthus ritteri in the trade. If it is a magnifica, then yes should be no problem, if it is a doreensis, then maybe...they are not associated with this anemone in the wild, but you never know what they will do in an aquarium...

Old 07-13-2002, 11:43 PM   #17

I believe it is magnifica, the one in particular we are looking into it the purple base, let me see if I hav ea picture of it.
Old 07-13-2002, 11:47 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

It should love that anemone, but you should know the Heteractis magnifica has a tremendously poor success rate in the home aquarium. If you gotta have one, make sure it is placed high up, almost directly under one of the halides with lots and lots of waterflow on the anemone, preferably from several directions, and I mean they like the water really moving around them....

Old 07-14-2002, 04:39 PM   #19

the owner of the fish store said it was a black sebea clown he thinks, he can't remember...
Old 07-14-2002, 05:45 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

First Fish

Thought this might be of interest...
"As with all damsels and anemonefish, A. sebae can become quite agressive toward members of its own or similar species if it doesn't have a large territory to call its own. At any rate, all damsels in an aquarium are best if they are the same size (this may reduce agression). These fish will appreciate a sebae or carpet anemone to take refuge in, but this isn't absolutely necessary. Like many other clownfish, the sebae is easy to feed in the aquarium, and is relatively undemanding in water quality requirements. Be sure to keep the nitrates down if you plan to keep any anemones with these fish.

This fish best shows off its colors and actions when accompanied by a sebae anome. I feel it is best to buy them young, then they tend to be less shy and more playful."

Tags
first fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com