First Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I know you got some good advice on another msg board.

I feed my coral beauty flake food, algae squares, frozen brine, bottled plankton.

When I first got the coral beauty I would wittness it picking at the LR. Some dwarf angel fish have been seen picking at soft corals. This appears to be a hit or miss type thing with them.

Mine was also very skidish for a long time when I put it in my 45 gal tank. Now is just swims in and around the LR.

I'm curious as to what other fish you are planning on adding to your tank? Pygmy angels can be bullys to new tankmates, and usually shouldn't be added first....

Oh, my gosh :(

I have decided to add Maroon Clown at the same time I am adding Coral Beauty. If they do well, plan to add Yellow Tang in a couple of weeks.
Will this work :?:

How big a tank is this again?

I consider maroon clowns to be the most agressive of the clown family.

I am concerned that your adding two fish at once and just want to make sure your tank is largenough to support that bioload initally.

Also the yellow tang will want lots o' swimming room.

Tank is 55gal.
I really don't know much about the different kinds of fish yet. Have been looking at a few books and visiting LFS when I can get away. I would like to have a peaceful tank and really want a few beautiful, compatible fish (price is not the big issue). Think I would be interested in...

Coral Beauty (rather have Flame, but since this is to be a gift :D
Flame Hawk
Clown (I'm kind of open as to what kind, just trying to get some red into tank)
Yellow Tang (because of color)

I would love to hear your suggestions :)
If you were starting out with a 55gal tank, what would you put into it? Of course you would have to imagine yourself as a beginner :p

This is so difficult, would also like to have interesting fish. I don't want much, do I?

I would think a 55 would be ok by adding two fish at first.

The general rule it to add the most agressive fish last.

Now the problem is trying to figure out which of the 4 fish listed is the least agressive.

Personally I have not seen my coral beauty have agression. Its always been a very passive fish when it comes to feeding times and just general swimming around and does not pay attention to the others. As kevin said some pygmy angles can be more agressive.

I am only speaking from my personal obeservations and also the angel was not the first fish in the tank.

Clowns can be agressive but usually toward their own genus more than other fish. In a tanks smaller than a 55 putting another fish in with a maroon clown could be death for the other fish. If you have a 55 gal with a fair amount of LR a clown first should be ok even if it is a maroon.

I have no experence with either tang or flame hawk. I do know the tangs have a sharp bone just infront of their tail they use to defend themselves but dont know if they tend to be overly agressive with it.

Have you thought about two clowns? Two small clowns would be a good pair of starter fish.

I had two maroons in a 20 gal tank with no problem. I dont see anything wrong with adding two small maroons to the tank to start with.

Let them be "king" of the tank for about 2 weeks checking ammonia and if you get two weeks with no ammonia spikes then your good for another small fish.

The key is to not overload the bio filtration by dumping all your fish in there at once.

BTW, The only reason I said I had two maroons is that I lost one due to no fault of the maroon's. I feel like an Idot but I bumped the AC up to 80F when I left for a week long trip. When I got back the tank was overheating in the 90's and I had a sole survior of one maroon. :(

:?:
HI!, Speaking of clowns... I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about black clowns? I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find them. I find ones CALLED black clowns, but they aren't what I am looking for. I've noticed some that ALMOST look like the one I saw, but not quite. The one we saw at our LFS was solid black, with the white stripes and was about 3-4 inches long. the ones I have seen online and in books that resemble it are all black except for their face, usually the tip of their nose etc. is a browny orange that quickly blends to the black body. This one is entirely black aside from his stripes. We are (as soon as we get the tank straight) getting a purple base Ritteri anemone (small one comparatively) and are looking for a clown to go with. I think that black and white would be striking with the bright purple and green of the anemone but like I said can't find anything about it. Any ideas?? thanks

Hi Blue Abyss, see you are from Florida also. I have never seen a Black Clown, but then I haven't been into this hobby very long. I would love to see a picture if you locate one.
Good Luck 8)

Bett, from the fish selected, I would recommend the angel go in first. Then the clowns and then the tang. So I guess I was worrying for nothing :D , if you go with a flame hawk, he will fit in anywhere in the order.

Jennifer, could you give me a body style to go on, or the name of the clowns that were "close"...Almost all clowns will turn black. It has to do with the melanistic response to certain anemones. The clowns you mentioned that were close, sound like A. polymnus, or A. sebae, or A. clarkii, those are the most prolific of the "black" clowns. There is also a black A. ocellaris commonly called a darwin fish. Take a look at this pic and tell me if it is close.... http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=638617

that looks like the fish that are CLOSE to the one I saw, In the store he was not with an anemone and from what the store owner said he was not with one at the warehouse he got him from. that is the exact body style of the one at teh store, same striping patern but had absolutely no orange on him anywhere... not even that brownish orange on the face..

that is a black ocellaris clown, I'm sure you simply want one that has matured out of any orange on it's face....Oh it was probably a genetic thing passed onb after lots of years in a certain region with certain types of anemones. Evolution is a grand thing isn't it....

thanks, I will right that down
the pet store owner said he had never seen one before, but that he would talk tothe guy at the warehouse and see if he couldn't get him another one. any idea if they are compatable with a ritteri anemone?

Do you have a scientific name? H. magnifica is often called a ritteri in the trade. I have also seen Macrodactyla doreensis (LT anemone) listed as Radianthus ritteri in the trade. If it is a magnifica, then yes should be no problem, if it is a doreensis, then maybe...they are not associated with this anemone in the wild, but you never know what they will do in an aquarium...

I believe it is magnifica, the one in particular we are looking into it the purple base, let me see if I hav ea picture of it.

It should love that anemone, but you should know the Heteractis magnifica has a tremendously poor success rate in the home aquarium. If you gotta have one, make sure it is placed high up, almost directly under one of the halides with lots and lots of waterflow on the anemone, preferably from several directions, and I mean they like the water really moving around them....

Thought this might be of interest...
"As with all damsels and anemonefish, A. sebae can become quite agressive toward members of its own or similar species if it doesn't have a large territory to call its own. At any rate, all damsels in an aquarium are best if they are the same size (this may reduce agression). These fish will appreciate a sebae or carpet anemone to take refuge in, but this isn't absolutely necessary. Like many other clownfish, the sebae is easy to feed in the aquarium, and is relatively undemanding in water quality requirements. Be sure to keep the nitrates down if you plan to keep any anemones with these fish.

This fish best shows off its colors and actions when accompanied by a sebae anome. I feel it is best to buy them young, then they tend to be less shy and more playful."

Back
Top Bottom