Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2005, 04:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
...added 3 green chromis today which seem to be doing fine (for now). i

lost the larger one (just like the books say) overnight. did the best i could to pick out the correct ones.

what is the best food to feed them?

thanks.

Old 01-10-2005, 05:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Chromis are great fish. They have a lot of personality, will eat out of my hands and school with me when I put my hand in the tank. They are SO personable! Sorry to hear that you lost one of those chromis, but I've heard that they do better in odd numbers anyway. My Chromis eat anything and everything. I feed the tank formula 1, formula 2 (this is more for my tang than the chromis), cyclop-eze, flake, mysis, pellet (they like this least of all since they sink and my Chromis prefer surface or water column feeding). Not all at once and usually once every two days (in spite of the fact that they look hungry all the time). 1/4-1/2 cube of food or a little sprinking of flake is all they need at a feeding.

I have a peppermint (who ate the aptasias) and two cleaners that are the life of the party. Those two are always at the front of the tank, feed like maniacs and will swim to and climb my arm to the top of the tank if it gets within 3" of them. Great fun to have. The peppermint is more reserved and stays under the rock unless its feeding time.

Good luck!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
Thanks. I'd like to introduce some electric blue ones after my sump is set up with RO water. I wonder how aggressive they really are? There is plenty of room.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
I may be new but anemonies wont kill a clown fish(thats the whole thing about clowns is their compa....there are plenty good books and fish compabible charts online to get info on all species.
heres one to start...to at least help get a description of each fish and what they are all about
Since clowns have come why down in price....Id get a clown too...thats what im getting in my tank to start.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
Demsels because they are hardy and will give you a good idea where your tank stands. I would go with the blue ones there cheap and not very agressive.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

A Rabbitfish/Foxfish is also a very hardy fish that you may also find that you enjoy after the fact as well.
Dog Face Puffer
Bamboo Cat Shark
Foxface Lo
Volitan Lion
and the almighty domino Damsel
the21kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:38 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

I woudl suggest you come up a complete list of fish that you want/like. Then read up on their needs compatibility, etc. Then post the list here and get some more advice from people who have those fish.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:43 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Damsels are aggressive, get these lesser aggressive tankmates
Cardinalfish
Gobys
Blennys
Most Tangs
Grammas
Dottybacks
Dwarf Angels
Old 01-14-2005, 03:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Appreciate the help everybody. You're right about the Clownfish but they will eat my anenomies -- that's what I didn't understand. The Damsels are rather comical fish because they cruise around all over without a care it seems. I need to introduce more snails first (et. al.) for brown algae clean-up, but the tank will come around with time. I'll post pictures of the whole project when completed.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:02 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

What kind of anenomies do you have???? I've never heard of a clownfish eating them! Seems a little odd to me, where did you get this info?

Tags
first fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com