Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2005, 10:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
First Fish?

Hi,

I've finished cycling my 110 gallon salt tank. The algae is surprisingly low for tap water and I am going to check the chemical balance soon.

What would be the best first fish or two to introduce to the aquarium? I know of many hardy species but I would appreciate any experienced advice.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-08-2005, 10:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The algae won't really start until after the cycle is finished, and maybe a little longer. Trust me, if you're using tap, you'll eventually wish you hadn't.

Don't even think about fish unless the levels all check out at 0.

What kind of setup are you running?

Old 01-08-2005, 10:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
...going to set up a 30 gallon sump with a cpr overflow / dual return probably within about 2 weeks or so. ...when i find some more cash, an RO/DI top-off system from a friend but not right away.

...have only noticed minimal brown algae on the sides (glass) of the tank. the live rock has this finger flowers growing out of the sides and a small herd of hermit crabs seem pretty happy there. only have 110 watts of light (not near enough) but the coraline has grown maybe 20%.

the skimmer was off for 2 months and i've activated it. it has cleaned the water quite nicely.

appreciate
Old 01-09-2005, 01:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
I would suggest a blue demsil after the cycle. I would get this because it is cheap and you can keep it in your tank after your done with it because its not very agressive and also because its pretty.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are you using to cycle the tank with? Damsels are hardy, but if you don't plan on keeping them I wouldn't add them. They are really difficult to catch, especially if you have lr. Decide on whether or not you want a peaceful, or aggressive environment first. This will lead you in the right direction.
Bearfan is absolutely correct. You will never win the war against algae blooms with tap water. There is just too much garbage in it. If I don't drink it, and it is really horrible here, then I wouldn't expect my fish to live in it. You may want to consider purchasing RO from a grocery store until you get the system.

Mike
Old 01-09-2005, 11:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks.

I've cycled with live rock and hermit crabs for 2 months. What about a clean up crew? What is the best PH, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, phosphate test kit? I'll be patient for the RO/DI water.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:54 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Most people swear by Salifert test kits. I prefer the Seachem for pH. The Seachem nitrate give me an off the chart nitrate reading when the Salifert kit shows about 25.

Clean up crew: I prefer snails (assorted), fighting conch (2) and a brittle star or two. I had hermit crabs but moved the survivors to my sump. I found them munching on too many snails and each other.

First Fish: I think you should look at what you want our tank to end up with. Like salttanker said; decide on the tank temperament first. Come up a complete list of fish you WANT then pare it down to the fish you MUST HAVE. Post that list and let the members here help you revise to a manageable few.

There are compatibility charts (e.g. liveaquaria.com) that you can use. Research the fish you like and ask about them here.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I would suggest a blue demsil after the cycle. I would get this because it is cheap and you can keep it in your tank after your done with it because its not very agressive and also because its pretty.
Not aggressive??? I would HIGHLY disagree!!!!!!!!!!!! If you go with a damsel go with a Yellow Tail Blue Damsel or a Four Lined damsel, NOT blue damsels, they are called "Blue Devils" for a reason. If you want a cheap fish, go with a clown or a goby, or a cardinal fish. Since your tank is cycled you won't need to worry much about them dying off and they are much less aggressive than any damsel.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i agree the damsels are terd heads since i have an evil little blue damsel. The yellow tails are the least aggresive of all. Get a clown.
Penguin 170 filter (no wheel)
Neptune 100 heater
2xAquaclear 301 PH
25 lbs of LR and 40 lbs of LS from LFS

Fish: occelaris clown , bicolor blenny , evil blue damsel
Corals: Starburst polyp, Candy cane, Bullseye mushrooms
Cleaners: 3 margarita snails, cleaner shrimp,scarlet hermit,2 dwarf redleg hermits,2 dwarf zebra hermits
ilikefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the help

This looks like it could get complicated.

I already have several anemonies growing in one corner which will kill species like the clown (which it looks like certain species could be aggressive). I'll look for the damsel species that you've suggested; they will be compatible with the rock life. And I"ll look for a clean up crew similar to those suggested.

What about a (colorful) shrimp? They're 'ok' but at least something else for an ecosystem.

Regards.

Tags
first fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com