First Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquafreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I've finished cycling my 110 gallon salt tank. The algae is surprisingly low for tap water and I am going to check the chemical balance soon.

What would be the best first fish or two to introduce to the aquarium? I know of many hardy species but I would appreciate any experienced advice.

Thanks in advance :)

The algae won't really start until after the cycle is finished, and maybe a little longer. Trust me, if you're using tap, you'll eventually wish you hadn't.

Don't even think about fish unless the levels all check out at 0.

What kind of setup are you running?

...going to set up a 30 gallon sump with a cpr overflow / dual return probably within about 2 weeks or so. ...when i find some more cash, an RO/DI top-off system from a friend but not right away.

...have only noticed minimal brown algae on the sides (glass) of the tank. the live rock has this finger flowers growing out of the sides and a small herd of hermit crabs seem pretty happy there. only have 110 watts of light (not near enough) but the coraline has grown maybe 20%.

the skimmer was off for 2 months and i've activated it. it has cleaned the water quite nicely.

appreciate :)

I would suggest a blue demsil after the cycle. I would get this because it is cheap and you can keep it in your tank after your done with it because its not very agressive and also because its pretty.

What are you using to cycle the tank with? Damsels are hardy, but if you don't plan on keeping them I wouldn't add them. They are really difficult to catch, especially if you have lr. Decide on whether or not you want a peaceful, or aggressive environment first. This will lead you in the right direction.
Bearfan is absolutely correct. You will never win the war against algae blooms with tap water. There is just too much garbage in it. If I don't drink it, and it is really horrible here, then I wouldn't expect my fish to live in it. You may want to consider purchasing RO from a grocery store until you get the system.

Mike

Thanks.

I've cycled with live rock and hermit crabs for 2 months. What about a clean up crew? What is the best PH, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, phosphate test kit? I'll be patient for the RO/DI water.

Most people swear by Salifert test kits. I prefer the Seachem for pH. The Seachem nitrate give me an off the chart nitrate reading when the Salifert kit shows about 25.

Clean up crew: I prefer snails (assorted), fighting conch (2) and a brittle star or two. I had hermit crabs but moved the survivors to my sump. I found them munching on too many snails and each other.

First Fish: I think you should look at what you want our tank to end up with. Like salttanker said; decide on the tank temperament first. Come up a complete list of fish you WANT then pare it down to the fish you MUST HAVE. Post that list and let the members here help you revise to a manageable few.

There are compatibility charts (e.g. liveaquaria.com) that you can use. Research the fish you like and ask about them here.

I would suggest a blue demsil after the cycle. I would get this because it is cheap and you can keep it in your tank after your done with it because its not very agressive and also because its pretty.
Not aggressive??? I would HIGHLY disagree!!!!!!!!!!!! If you go with a damsel go with a Yellow Tail Blue Damsel or a Four Lined damsel, NOT blue damsels, they are called "Blue Devils" for a reason. If you want a cheap fish, go with a clown or a goby, or a cardinal fish. Since your tank is cycled you won't need to worry much about them dying off and they are much less aggressive than any damsel.

i agree the damsels are terd heads since i have an evil little blue damsel. The yellow tails are the least aggresive of all. Get a clown.

Thanks for the help :)

This looks like it could get complicated.

I already have several anemonies growing in one corner which will kill species like the clown (which it looks like certain species could be aggressive). I'll look for the damsel species that you've suggested; they will be compatible with the rock life. And I"ll look for a clean up crew similar to those suggested.

What about a (colorful) shrimp? They're 'ok' but at least something else for an ecosystem.

Regards.

...added 3 green chromis today which seem to be doing fine (for now). i

lost the larger one (just like the books say) overnight. did the best i could to pick out the correct ones.

what is the best food to feed them?

thanks.

The Chromis are great fish. They have a lot of personality, will eat out of my hands and school with me when I put my hand in the tank. They are SO personable! Sorry to hear that you lost one of those chromis, but I've heard that they do better in odd numbers anyway. My Chromis eat anything and everything. I feed the tank formula 1, formula 2 (this is more for my tang than the chromis), cyclop-eze, flake, mysis, pellet (they like this least of all since they sink and my Chromis prefer surface or water column feeding). Not all at once and usually once every two days (in spite of the fact that they look hungry all the time). 1/4-1/2 cube of food or a little sprinking of flake is all they need at a feeding.

I have a peppermint (who ate the aptasias) and two cleaners that are the life of the party. Those two are always at the front of the tank, feed like maniacs and will swim to and climb my arm to the top of the tank if it gets within 3" of them. Great fun to have. The peppermint is more reserved and stays under the rock unless its feeding time.

Good luck!

Thanks. I'd like to introduce some electric blue ones after my sump is set up with RO water. I wonder how aggressive they really are? There is plenty of room.

I may be new but anemonies wont kill a clown fish(thats the whole thing about clowns is their compa....there are plenty good books and fish compabible charts online to get info on all species.
heres one to start...to at least help get a description of each fish and what they are all about
Since clowns have come why down in price....Id get a clown too...thats what im getting in my tank to start.

Demsels because they are hardy and will give you a good idea where your tank stands. I would go with the blue ones there cheap and not very agressive.

A Rabbitfish/Foxfish is also a very hardy fish that you may also find that you enjoy after the fact as well.

I woudl suggest you come up a complete list of fish that you want/like. Then read up on their needs compatibility, etc. Then post the list here and get some more advice from people who have those fish. :D

Damsels are aggressive, get these lesser aggressive tankmates
Cardinalfish
Gobys
Blennys
Most Tangs
Grammas
Dottybacks
Dwarf Angels

Appreciate the help everybody. You're right about the Clownfish but they will eat my anenomies -- that's what I didn't understand. The Damsels are rather comical fish because they cruise around all over without a care it seems. I need to introduce more snails first (et. al.) for brown algae clean-up, but the tank will come around with time. I'll post pictures of the whole project when completed.

What kind of anenomies do you have???? I've never heard of a clownfish eating them! Seems a little odd to me, where did you get this info?

Back
Top Bottom