First Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andy_b22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am new to saltwater tanks and i recently began a 55 gallon FOWLR tank which some day hope to be a reef tank :D . My question is that i am not sure on which fishes i should get for the first fishes that are reef compatable and are an easy beginner fish. i was thinking about a clownfish and was looking to get one more fish maybe in the tang, angle dwarf, or butterflyfish area. All suggestions are welcome. TIN

If your tank is already cycled, clowns are always a good choice. I'm not sure about a tang in a 55g tank. Maybe a yellow tang but it's gonna be cramped. Dwarf angels are nice but be careful since they aren't considered totally reef safe. That said, I keep a coral beauty in my reef. Skip the butterflies. As beautiful as they are, most are not very hardy or reef safe. Other fish to consider are firefish, basslets, gobies and blennies. There are several inverts to choose from as well.

Where would be the best place to buy fish? i think i have decided on a bicolor dwarf anglefish.

Your best bet is a local fish store, as you can see in person what your going to buy. You can also ask to see it eat, which is a good sign it is healthy. If you go the mail order route, try to find a shipper that offers a good guarantee, in case they arrive damaged or DOA.

I agree try your lfs first. For mail order though, I've had luck with both liveaquaria.com and saltwaterfish.com.

see my problem is that i live like an hour and a half away from the lfs, and he isn't really a fish store, he is a pet store. so with this in mind, he only keeps a clownfish and a yellow tang that has been there since i can remember. his tank isn't very well kept and the fish look sick. if i order them from him he won't let the fish stay overnight the day he gets them or he will charge me extra. so i do not really want to do business with him. so are those the best places to buy saltwater fish online?

Back
Top Bottom