Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Ok, get ready to cry. I'm almost embarassed to show these. The rock is just nasty looking, the tank is all cloudy, and there are these things (the guy said they're corals, they dont look like aiptasia to me. Maybe you guys will know. So anyways, $0 later, here they are...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Kenya tree or a similar soft coral. Most likely Kenya tree based on color. They are corals though. Aside, if that rocks nasty, i paid a good bit for the nastiest rock ever.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
Looks like really gooey xenia to me. Take the rocks and scrub off all the algae and look give the tank a quick rinse and reassemble. It's too early to get discouraged.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

not discouraged, just kinda embarassed after seeing all of your guys tanks. But, gotta start somewhere, right? Next step will be a bigger tank with good lighting. I've got a 15w bulb over this one, which is fine, i guess we'll see what the kenya tree/gooey xenia feels about it (im not going to cry if it doesnt make it since i'm not trying to keep corals yet anyways). And once the water clears up, you'll see a significant improvement on the rock. I took a toothbrush to them before putting them in the tank

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 04-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You will want a reef soon enough. Just wait for it. Anyways, join a local reef forum and see if they have any big meets with sponsors comming. Im going to one at the Mohegan sun next week and like Brass in october, prices will be lower than wholesale.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
You trater
ahahaha , fresh water is good and games but you wanna put your foot in the big leagues eh? yep give it time, reef fever is contaigious. Soon as i can figure out how to turn this room into a tank ill let you know how to cure it
Old 04-18-2010, 12:11 AM   #17
is back to save the day!

Dont worry.. the liverock i recieved from drs.fosterandsmith was 10x worse than what i see in those pictures. I also agree with Flake.. looks like some bruised-up Xenia to me.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:14 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea i dont see anything major on those rocks, nothing a snail or 2 cant fix. Hey you even got something free out free it looks like with that coral
Old 04-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice Jonathan. For free, that's not bad rock. Also if he's offering you a 120G tank, and lights including T5's and MH's for $350, buy it! MH's alone cost upwards of $600.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #20
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

This light costs upwards of $1000! This is the one he has Coralife Aqualight Pro, HQI MH Lamp + PC + Lunar LED ... i guess i had it wrong lol.

So a question for you guys. I've got a canister that i just put on my 150g, i've been thinking about cleaning it out and running it on this tank. Its an eheim 2224 and i actually ran it on a 10g that i had set up to soak some rocks in and it didnt seem like it was entirely too much flow (not at all compared to the maxijet 1200 in the tank right now ), i know everybody screams that they're nitrate factories, which isnt as big of a deal in a fowlr setup, and i clean my canisters weekly, so what do you think? good idea? I think it would help alot since i dont have the money to spend on good powerheads and it has a spray bar which would do a pretty good job spreading out the flow. Opinions?

Tags
fowlr, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com