Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2010, 11:23 PM   #21
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Ok, so I ended up putting the canister on the tank, it's really doing a good job of getting some of the junk out of there that came off the rock once it was put in the tank. I tested to see if the rock was still indeed live, I put some pure ammonia (the same that i used to cycle some of my fw tanks), i dosed it up to 3ppm last night, this morning about 6 hours later, ammonia and nitrite was 0, nitrate was about 5ppm. I went to the lfs to look at their sw stuff since i'd never really looked other than in awe. I ended up getting a small turbo snail (cant remember the name, the guy said it wasnt one that got real big) and two margarita snails. I'm really starting to like this sw stuff, so much that more than likely when we move this summer, im going to set up a much bigger tank. Anyways, another question, i've got my sg at 1.024 right now, is that about right? I've heard so many numbers thrown out, im not real sure what to keep it at. Oh, and i'm definitely getting better lighting soon. I saw the corals and, well, as everybody told me, I want some!

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:43 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

1.024 is fine, 1.026 is ocean water though. Margarita snails are cold water species and will probably die. The Turbo may knock somethings over and topple some rocks so watch him. What kind of lights are you gonna get? T5HO's would cover your tank just fine.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:42 AM   #23
is back to save the day!

Rookie.. if you are interested.. i have a 2x18w Nova Extreme fixture. It's 18" long.. so you could modify the legs or hang it to cover a 10G just fine. I was recommended this light by ccCapt and he said it would be fine for most coral, except for the really light-demanding SPS. It's also brand new lol.. haven't even used it once, only to check if it worked, and it does. It came with one daylight bulb and one actinic bulb, but the daylight bulb came busted though.. that's the only problem. I was going to use it for my 10G.. but i got a 25G cube instead. It has an actinic bulb that still works and it's new just like the fixture. Buying a replacement daylight bulb would probably cost you like 13$ shipped.

I'll throw it your way for 30$.. if you pay for shipping. ;D

Buying it new from a retail site would probably cost 50-60$.. so your basically getting a new one for half the price. No pressure though.. i'm just offering this to help the greater good. That IS if your making this 10G a reef..
Old 04-21-2010, 03:49 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd buy it regardless! That's an awesome price.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Old 04-21-2010, 05:23 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like Kenya tree corals to me . Keep it wet and you may find others as the water clears. That's the fun of the "Dark Side!".
Old 04-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mwuhahahaha!

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Old 04-22-2010, 03:03 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm the shark. TC's the swimmer.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #29
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

ok, so tank looks 100 times better after adding the canister. I'll upload some pics tonight for suggestions. I've found what i think is a feather duster and a baby snail. I've also removed one aiptasia, i figure they'll be more since his tank was overrun by it.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't panic about the aiptasias and take your time removing them so that you don't cause them to spread more then they are now.

Tags
fowlr, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com