First FOWLR tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FeldmansFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I finally decided to take the leap to sw! I'll be using my 10g, which has been cleared+ cleaned. I have some questions on the equipment:

1) I have a aqua clear filter rated for 20g tanks, can I just use this?

2) Do any of you recommend skimmers? (What kind?)

3) Anyone know of an affordable (>$140) RO/DI system?

4) What kind of lighting is best for bringing out colors?

5) What brand of salt is the best bang for your buck?

More posts ( and questions) to follow :)

1) I suppose you could, as long as you take out any charcoal, and only use the mesh bag for mechanical filtration.

2)Honestly, for something this size, you don't really need a skimmer (frequent water changes will do the same job), although I'll let someone knowledgeable about this step in. There are HOB style skimmers...

3) SpectraPure® Maxpure RO/DI System

4) For a 10g something like this: AquaticLife T5 HO Light Link Fixture - Marine

5) Instant Ocean will be fine.

I am assuming you want some sort of corals in this?

There are some other things you are going to need: A refractometer, a basic saltwater test kit (you will have to upgrade later when it's time for corals), 10-15 lbs of live rock, a powerhead, and lots of patience!

Last edited:
There are some other things you are going to need: A refractometer, a basic saltwater test kit (you will have to upgrade later when it's time for corals), 10-15 lbs of live rock, a powerhead, and lots of patience!

For sand is Aragonite ok?

Supplies came in today! I'm going to the lfs for live rock. They're selling for $1.30 per lb. Is that a good price? I hope to begin the cycle sometime later today!

Back
Top Bottom