first matinence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HoCkEyGmC

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a nanocube 28 gallon hqi system, and im doing my first matinence stuff to it and i dont know what exactly i need to do/replace. there is some spongey stuff, ceramic stuff, and charcol. there are also two spongey things on each side where the water overflows into the powerhead returns. so what do i need to wash, what do i need to replace, and so on.
ill get pic's in a few days.
Thanks!

What kind of filter is it? On my AC110 i rinse the sponge out every other month and change them after being in for 3 months. so when i cahnge them i wait 2 weeks then change the other. I have 2 in it and am not using carbon. As for the bio pieces i change them out every 2 months.

they are in the same unit but not piece, once you take apart the unit there are 3 sections, sponge, ceramic in this net bag thing, and carbon also in a net bag thing, the water flows down through them.

Ohh ok. then the carbon gets changed every month. The sponge should get rinsed out only when your nitrAtes get over 20-30ppm and changed out every couple months. The ceramic rings i would change every few months also and can also be rinsed off instead of the foam if your NitrAtes start to get high. They will go down less by rinsing the rings then the foam. Do Not change out ro rinse more then one thing at a time. You will most likely cause a mini cycle in your tank if you do rinse or cahnge more then one thing at a time. If they are both due to get done at the same time(ex. change carbon and rinse sponge) wait a week or 2 before doing one of then 2 things.

The ceramic is part of your bio-filtration. I would remove the sponge and carbon. That carbon is generally only good for 1-2 weeks, before it starts leaching nasties back into the tank. You can replace the sponge with LR rubble and leave the third section open for other media like purigen. If you want to clean the sponge and caramic rings, just rinse them out in your old SW not FW as that will wip out your beneficial bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom