Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat_a126 View Post

Thanks! I'll make sure to look for signs of ich. Im planning to add it last anyways so I don't have to worry about it for a while
Alright cool.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #162
Aquarium Advice Freak

So new question: I think the third chromis might have died cause he's missing and I can't find him. So when can I add my clean up crew? I want urchins and snails, maybe a hermit. What do you all recommend?

Old 02-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat_a126 View Post
So new question: I think the third chromis might have died cause he's missing and I can't find him. So when can I add my clean up crew? I want urchins and snails, maybe a hermit. What do you all recommend?
I would add 10-20 blue leg hermits, should find him and eat him before he makes to much of a mess. I have a blue tux urchin and a snowball, they all eat coraline algea, so they wont pick at him if he is dead.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #164
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
I would add 10-20 blue leg hermits, should find him and eat him before he makes to much of a mess. I have a blue tux urchin and a snowball, they all eat coraline algea, so they wont pick at him if he is dead.

Will any snails eat dead fish? And if I get the hermits, would I need to buy shells so when they grow bigger they have something to live in? And I can get the clean up crew tomorrow? Lastly, once they eat the maybe dead fish, what can I feed them?
Old 02-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #165
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Hermit crabs will eat leftover food. From personal experience there are 3 inverts I try to avoid and here is the list and reasons.

Firstly I don't overly like hermits, of the three I avoid these guys are not so bad. I find they tend to knock stuff over and walk across corals. I currently have two and won't add any more.

Second is urchins, very cool animal and always neat to watch until things topple. They move like a starfish with suction cup legs however they have the legs all over their body and whenever they move around they grab stuff. Not a big deal till you see them cruising with your new coral frag on their back. I lost my prized torch coral due to an urchin knocking it down into my anemone. I also like the look of coralline algae on my rocks and back glass, an urchin will keep your rocks white by eating the coralline. Personally would never have an urchin again.

The third critter is shrimp specifically the skunk cleaners. I have one and he annoys the crap out of me and my coral. He is a glutton and eats everything I feed however he will steal food from my coral when I target feed which is annoying. Other than that they are neat animals.

This list was compiled so you know the drawbacks to adding these creatures to your aquarium. Each creature has a function in the reef and they all add a unique look that is always neat to show off. Just keep in mind that there are drawbacks to adding things to the tank.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #166
Aquarium Advice Freak

First New Fish Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer View Post
Hermit crabs will eat leftover food. From personal experience there are 3 inverts I try to avoid and here is the list and reasons.

Firstly I don't overly like hermits, of the three I avoid these guys are not so bad. I find they tend to knock stuff over and walk across corals. I currently have two and won't add any more.

Second is urchins, very cool animal and always neat to watch until things topple. They move like a starfish with suction cup legs however they have the legs all over their body and whenever they move around they grab stuff. Not a big deal till you see them cruising with your new coral frag on their back. I lost my prized torch coral due to an urchin knocking it down into my anemone. I also like the look of coralline algae on my rocks and back glass, an urchin will keep your rocks white by eating the coralline. Personally would never have an urchin again.

The third critter is shrimp specifically the skunk cleaners. I have one and he annoys the crap out of me and my coral. He is a glutton and eats everything I feed however he will steal food from my coral when I target feed which is annoying. Other than that they are neat animals.

This list was compiled so you know the drawbacks to adding these creatures to your aquarium. Each creature has a function in the reef and they all add a unique look that is always neat to show off. Just keep in mind that there are drawbacks to adding things to the tank.

Thanks for all the great info and all I decided against the hermits and I don't plan on adding any shrimp. I really love the pincushion urchin and I actually want him to carry things along with him I don't have any coral so I don't have to worry about that lol. I got two narssisus snails about 5 minutes ago that will eat the food that the chromis missed and hopefully find my other missing chromis. My sand bed needs some serious cleaning!
Old 02-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #167
Aquarium Advice Addict

I started with 6 nassarius snails and now I have a tonne. Can't count them all but when I feed it's like little submarines popping out of the sand. I have counted over 20 and that's just what a could see from the front.

If you want an urchin go for it they are super cool but if you get coral make sure it's glued in place.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #168
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer View Post
I started with 6 nassarius snails and now I have a tonne. Can't count them all but when I feed it's like little submarines popping out of the sand. I have counted over 20 and that's just what a could see from the front.

If you want an urchin go for it they are super cool but if you get coral make sure it's glued in place.

Omg that's so many snails. How big is your aquarium?
Old 02-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #169
Aquarium Advice Addict

90g with a 55g sump
Old 02-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #170

Nat, what kdpuffer said is somewhat ridiculous to me. Rarley will a hermit ever knock over coral, unless it is loose. And yes, you will need new bigger shells for the hermits.

The urchins i have a pin cusions, mine dont eat coraline of the glass but do off the rocks. You probably wont have much coraline it grows off ok lighting and calcium in which you dont have ether. (assuming you use a non reef grade salt.

And thirdly skunk cleaner shrimp are fine, (coral banded can be aggresive somtimes) they clean the coral for debris and left overs. Also decaying matter will be eaten.

I have 4 reef tanks and 1 non reef and have hermits in all, they all do fine and i would never get ride of them.

I have pin cusion urchins in 2 of my 5 tanks and would never get rid of them (even though they love to eat all my coraline but it grows back daily so who cares)

I have a cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp and love how the look and make the tanks look like a real reef.

Tags
dead, fish, new fish, new tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com