Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #171
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
Nat, what kdpuffer said is somewhat ridiculous to me. Rarley will a hermit ever knock over coral, unless it is loose. And yes, you will need new bigger shells for the hermits.

The urchins i have a pin cusions, mine dont eat coraline of the glass but do off the rocks. You probably wont have much coraline it grows off ok lighting and calcium in which you dont have ether. (assuming you use a non reef grade salt.

And thirdly skunk cleaner shrimp are fine, (coral banded can be aggresive somtimes) they clean the coral for debris and left overs. Also decaying matter will be eaten.

I never said don't get any of the animals listed. I was just trying to relay the possible risks with them. As far as hermits goes I have had them knock over coral frags that I hadn't glued down yet. I have also had them crawl all over corals which is annoying at times. I have hermits in my tank I just personally preffer to avoid them in large quantities. As for the shrimp they can be a pita, mine has always jumped ontop of coral to steal food. I never said not to get them just trying to inform of some risks involved. You spend $100 or more on an awesome coral and you target feed it then the $6 shrimp jumps on it to steal food. I get annoyed with the shrimp in that scenario. Once I can catch him he is going to solitary confinement in the sump.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer View Post

I never said don't get any of the animals listed. I was just trying to relay the possible risks with them. As far as hermits goes I have had them knock over coral frags that I hadn't glued down yet. I have also had them crawl all over corals which is annoying at times. I have hermits in my tank I just personally preffer to avoid them in large quantities. As for the shrimp they can be a pita, mine has always jumped ontop of coral to steal food. I never said not to get them just trying to inform of some risks involved. You spend $100 or more on an awesome coral and you target feed it then the $6 shrimp jumps on it to steal food. I get annoyed with the shrimp in that scenario. Once I can catch him he is going to solitary confinement in the sump.
Lol, your cleaner costs $6? Mine costed me $28 and my fire costed $35. i would like to know your location! Ive been wanting another !

I understand you were just putting out risks, but i just wanted to give a 2nd opinion

Old 02-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #173
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Quote:
Lol, your cleaner costs $6? Mine costed me $28 and my fire costed $35. i would like to know your location! Ive been wanting another !

I understand you were just putting out risks, but i just wanted to give a 2nd opinion

Fair enough, mine was actually $12 I think. It's been a while since I got it, 2 years. Even at $30 I still prefer my coral. I'm up in Canada.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #174
Aquarium Advice Freak

[
Quote:
Nat, what kdpuffer said is somewhat ridiculous to me. Rarley will a hermit ever knock over coral, unless it is loose. And yes, you will need new bigger shells for the hermits.

The urchins i have a pin cusions, mine dont eat coraline of the glass but do off the rocks. You probably wont have much coraline it grows off ok lighting and calcium in which you dont have ether. (assuming you use a non reef grade salt.

And thirdly skunk cleaner shrimp are fine, (coral banded can be aggresive somtimes) they clean the coral for debris and left overs. Also decaying matter will be eaten.

I have 4 reef tanks and 1 non reef and have hermits in all, they all do fine and i would never get ride of them.

I have pin cusion urchins in 2 of my 5 tanks and would never get rid of them (even though they love to eat all my coraline but it grows back daily so who cares)

I have a cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp and love how the look and make the tanks look like a real reef.

QUOTE=kdpuffer;2836053]I never said don't get any of the animals listed. I was just trying to relay the possible risks with them. As far as hermits goes I have had them knock over coral frags that I hadn't glued down yet. I have also had them crawl all over corals which is annoying at times. I have hermits in my tank I just personally preffer to avoid them in large quantities. As for the shrimp they can be a pita, mine has always jumped ontop of coral to steal food. I never said not to get them just trying to inform of some risks involved. You spend $100 or more on an awesome coral and you target feed it then the $6 shrimp jumps on it to steal food. I get annoyed with the shrimp in that scenario. Once I can catch him he is going to solitary confinement in the
sump.[/QUOTE]

I actually use natural sea water and I have some red and purple coralline algae growing in there. I had decided against the hermits cause I didn't want to deal with the shells anyways lol. I just want to have some snails and urchins lately, never wanted to spend $20 on a shrimp that may be eaten by a puffer :P
Old 02-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat_a126 View Post
[

QUOTE=kdpuffer;2836053]I never said don't get any of the animals listed. I was just trying to relay the possible risks with them. As far as hermits goes I have had them knock over coral frags that I hadn't glued down yet. I have also had them crawl all over corals which is annoying at times. I have hermits in my tank I just personally preffer to avoid them in large quantities. As for the shrimp they can be a pita, mine has always jumped ontop of coral to steal food. I never said not to get them just trying to inform of some risks involved. You spend $100 or more on an awesome coral and you target feed it then the $6 shrimp jumps on it to steal food. I get annoyed with the shrimp in that scenario. Once I can catch him he is going to solitary confinement in the
sump.
I actually use natural sea water and I have some red and purple coralline algae growing in there. I had decided against the hermits cause I didn't want to deal with the shells anyways lol. I just want to have some snails and urchins lately, never wanted to spend $20 on a shrimp that may be eaten by a puffer :P[/QUOTE]

valentinis eat hard shelled animals, wont touch you shrimp. As i said, my 2 pin cusion urchins and a fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp in the 37g with my valentini, no problems
Old 02-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #176
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I actually use natural sea water and I have some red and purple coralline algae growing in there. I had decided against the hermits cause I didn't want to deal with the shells anyways lol. I just want to have some snails and urchins lately, never wanted to spend $20 on a shrimp that may be eaten by a puffer :P
valentinis eat hard shelled animals, wont touch you shrimp. As i said, my 2 pin cusion urchins and a fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp in the 37g with my valentini, no problems [/QUOTE]

I want to see the shrimp clean a fish in my tank that would be so cool
Old 02-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #177

Quote:

valentinis eat hard shelled animals, wont touch you shrimp. As i said, my 2 pin cusion urchins and a fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp in the 37g with my valentini, no problems
I want to see the shrimp clean a fish in my tank that would be so cool[/QUOTE]

My shrimps clean my starry blenny all the time, they jump at the puffer somtimes too :P
Old 02-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #178
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I want to see the shrimp clean a fish in my tank that would be so cool
My shrimps clean my starry blenny all the time, they jump at the puffer somtimes too :P[/QUOTE]

That's awesome that the shrimp and fish had a symbiotic relationship and so entertaining to watch
Old 02-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #179
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
My shrimps clean my starry blenny all the time, they jump at the puffer somtimes too :P

That's awesome that the shrimp and fish had a symbiotic relationship and so entertaining to watch[/QUOTE]

How long do u recommend acclimating the snails? I stabilized the temperature for 20 min and they have been dripping for 25 min.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #180
Aquarium Advice Freak

Never mind I put them in there and they quickly buried themselves

Tags
dead, fish, new fish, new tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com