Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstimpy View Post
No problems so far, fish are maniacs, I just never got around to setting up a drip. Now my tank is almost stocked but I will try to drip I get another fish.
Fish are maniacs, my dads been overfeeding the 37g and my nitrates were at 80+! Did a 35g wc and got them to 40, now doing a 20g wc and added a 5oz of chemi pure. Never lost a coral, fish, or invertebrate!

Old 01-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had two different places test them and they said the water was fine in both. I have been cycling it for 2 weeks and 4 days.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Could stress have killed them?
Old 01-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
Depending on which test kit he used could matter. Im going with ammonia while they were acclimateing.

When a fish is in a bag, there is no gaseous exchange, which in turn makes the Ph go down and turn ammonia into non-toxic ammonium, but once the bag is opened then the ph rises and the ammonia starts to build up. 30 minutes maximum time for dripping a fish.

Also i reccomend getting an API master kit, works great for me and others, also nice to not have to go to the lfs and get your water tested.

I opened the bag when they when they were acclimating and the volume of water doubled
Old 01-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat_a126 View Post

I opened the bag when they when they were acclimating and the volume of water doubled
1 hours still would be enough to build up a high enough amount of ammonia.

Maybe get 3 more chromis and only drip for 20 minutes. See how that goes? Or maybe 1 as a test.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #16
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

duplicate threads merged.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
1 hours still would be enough to build up a high enough amount of ammonia.

Maybe get 3 more chromis and only drip for 20 minutes. See how that goes? Or maybe 1 as a test.

Okay I'm going to try to get maybe two today and put them in the tank with the bag to stabilize temp, drip them for 20-30 min and out then in?
Old 01-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just a thought.. One of the fish stores I shop in Tampa use copper in their fish holdings but not their coral/invert tanks (obviously.) they instructed me that after acclimation to net the fish into the aquarium as to not add copper. I know it's not pertinent to your situation so much, but just in case you were going reef at some point it may be good to know. I hope all goes well for you and your new fish.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstimpy View Post
Just a thought.. One of the fish stores I shop in Tampa use copper in their fish holdings but not their coral/invert tanks (obviously.) they instructed me that after acclimation to net the fish into the aquarium as to not add copper. I know it's not pertinent to your situation so much, but just in case you were going reef at some point it may be good to know. I hope all goes well for you and your new fish.
I just pick my fish up with my hand when putting them back in, you can do the net but its really not needed. Also less stressful ive heard.

Such little copper is in the fish that it doesnt really matter, ive treated many fish with copper in QT and put them in my reefs with 0 problems.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Best of luck, Nat!

Tags
dead, fish, new fish, new tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com