First New Fish Dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got $200 of soft coral the 2nd week after my 37g cycled. (it was my first SW) you dont have to have much experience for soft coral. Now ive got a few thousand into coral, ive been in the hobby for about a year now. I think you would be a good reefer, just takes time and effort.

But of course you dont need to spend a bunch of money on coral, i would say $200 could get you lights and some softies.

Best of luck my friend!

Oh gosh this is definitely an expensive hobby to have. I think my lights can possibly support some really low light corals, but I gotta check. I haven't looked at all how to have corals so I have no idea how to care for them. Maybe in the near future I'll tempt myself enough to get them. I definitely love anemones :) are corals complicated to care for?

Oh gosh this is definitely an expensive hobby to have. I think my lights can possibly support some really low light corals, but I gotta check. I haven't looked at all how to have corals so I have no idea how to care for them. Maybe in the near future I'll tempt myself enough to get them. I definitely love anemones :) are corals complicated to care for?

You probably know, nems are a pain in the but and alot of experienced reefers cant even keep them. High lighting, a mature tank, and much more for a nem depending on what type. I will answer your coral Q later, sorry but im SUPER tired from sledding all day :)

You probably know, nems are a pain in the but and alot of experienced reefers cant even keep them. High lighting, a mature tank, and much more for a nem depending on what type. I will answer your coral Q later, sorry but im SUPER tired from sledding all day :)

Ah lucky! Doesn't snow in Florida! And thank you and have a good night ?

Nat hope the acclimation of your latest fish go well ? your due for a little but of R & R from this cycling process.. slain te

As far as coral goes it's really quite simple and easy to keep them. It all boils down to a few things to remember.
First off you have to have proper lighting, a 4-6 bulb t5ho fixture would be enough light however for the price get LEDs and save having replace bulbs. Just make sure research the led fixture as some claim to grow coral but aren't powerful enough.
The second thing to remember is to keep up on regular water changes, 10% a week is best, 20% every two weeks is also ok. Doing 50% once a month will work however it can cause large swings in water chemistry. Smaller more frequent changes provides more stability.
Third thing is feeding, be careful about over feeding. Only feed what your fish can eat in a minute. Another tip on this topic is that all frozen foods should be thawed and rinsed in rodi water prior to feeding to avoid adding the juices to the tank, they are loaded with phosphates which fuels algae growth.

With these three things in mind you should be able to successfully keep softies and LPS coral. Sps coral anemones and non photosynthetic corals require extra care and attention to detail which is easy enough to tackle after some experience, but for now baby steps. The only thing I can really see being an issue at this point is the light you have, it may even do the trick just let us know the details on the fixture and we can let you know if it will work or not.

Nat hope the acclimation of your latest fish go well ? your due for a little but of R & R from this cycling process.. slain te

Yea if all goes well in these following 3 weeks, then planning to get me some clown fish!

As far as coral goes it's really quite simple and easy to keep them. It all boils down to a few things to remember.
First off you have to have proper lighting, a 4-6 bulb t5ho fixture would be enough light however for the price get LEDs and save having replace bulbs. Just make sure research the led fixture as some claim to grow coral but aren't powerful enough.
The second thing to remember is to keep up on regular water changes, 10% a week is best, 20% every two weeks is also ok. Doing 50% once a month will work however it can cause large swings in water chemistry. Smaller more frequent changes provides more stability.
Third thing is feeding, be careful about over feeding. Only feed what your fish can eat in a minute. Another tip on this topic is that all frozen foods should be thawed and rinsed in rodi water prior to feeding to avoid adding the juices to the tank, they are loaded with phosphates which fuels algae growth.

With these three things in mind you should be able to successfully keep softies and LPS coral. Sps coral anemones and non photosynthetic corals require extra care and attention to detail which is easy enough to tackle after some experience, but for now baby steps. The only thing I can really see being an issue at this point is the light you have, it may even do the trick just let us know the details on the fixture and we can let you know if it will work or not.

Okay looking into the brand of light now. Why is it that I have to use rodi water to thaw instead of salt water in my aquarium to thaw it out?-

Wow, that was impressive!! Salt water for dummies ;)
I learned more from that, then any other feed to date lol

You want to food thawed before you feed it, using rodi water is just clean water. Rinsing the food with rodi prior to feeding will remove the juices from the food and will not contaminate the tank as it would if you used straight tap water. You could use tank water also just make sure you rinse the food well and dispose of the juices. What I do is thaw the food then I use a tiny strainer over a spare bucket and squirt rodi water into the strainer to wash away all the bad stuff. Once that's done I feed then dump the bucket with juice water down the drain.

The light is LED Fluval Sea Full Spectrum Marine and Reef. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392339886.077445.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392339907.805671.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392339945.422649.jpg

I am not familiar with that fixture but from what I have found by google searching it doesn't appear to be very powerful. The models I saw range from 25-45 watts depending on length. Watts aren't everything but it is a good indication of power levels. I have a 90g tank and have 2 lights each are 120 watt. Your fixture may be strong enough for some softies. Hopefully we can get mr x in here to weigh in on it as he is a lot more familiar with a broad range of things including lights.

I am not familiar with that fixture but from what I have found by google searching it doesn't appear to be very powerful. The models I saw range from 25-45 watts depending on length. Watts aren't everything but it is a good indication of power levels. I have a 90g tank and have 2 lights each are 120 watt. Your fixture may be strong enough for some softies. Hopefully we can get mr x in here to weigh in on it as he is a lot more familiar with a broad range of things including lights.

Mine is three foot long. And yes Mr. X please come lol. If I can't keep any corals, no biggie. Just happy I can keep fish alive (hopfully) ?

Back
Top Bottom