First one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psychocircus91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've been a member here for over a year because I've been wanting to start a reef tank for quite a while. I'm sure these questions are asked all the time, but I'm going to lay it out at it pertains to me.

I am going with the biocube 29 hqi. I want to figure out everything I need and hopefully you guys can advice me on specific products that require no modifications to the biocube.
I also need help figuring out exactly what i will need for my quarantine tank (10 gal)

SO
  1. HQI I know I'm good on the lights, and I'm going to use the stock protein skimmer for now.
    I know I'll need a powerhead (or 2?)
    a heater I assume
    a chiller? do I need one if I keep the top off (and get non-jumping fish of course) My house is 69 degrees in the winter and 76 in the summer. Anything else?
  2. For the quarantine tank is all I need a filter and a heater?
  3. As for test kits what do I need? Soft corals only most likely. Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, salinity (whats the name of the test for this?) and a thermometer. Anything else?

Sorry for so many questions.

A hydrometer or a refractormeter is what you need to check the salinity. Refractometer if you can afford it.

Dont rush into things. Do some research first. Youtube is great as well as this website!

Yeah I'm definitely going to take my time and cycle longer than needed. I just don't want to purchase something I see online and find out its not going to get the job done. Trying to make a check list

Im assuming you may need to get a chiller eventually but you can cross that road when you get to it. My friend has has the HQI nanocube and he said his light heats his tank up to 89 degrees. He has to run fans over his water

Im assuming you may need to get a chiller eventually but you can cross that road when you get to it. My friend has has the HQI nanocube and he said his light heats his tank up to 89 degrees. He has to run fans over his water

Yeah, I've heard that as well, which is why I asked about the chiller, but I've read that taking the glass hood off makes a huge difference.

Back
Top Bottom