First post - New 75 Gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KDS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to the forum and have done my share of research over the past month or so. This is my first post. I started my first saltwater aquarium yesterday, a 75 gallon glass aquarium. Here are the contents of the setup so far:

75 Gallon glass tank
40 lbs of live sand (Tahitian Moon from CaribSea)
50 lbs of dry rock
Emperor 400 power filter
300 watt thermometer

I plan to purchase another 20lbs of the live sand, as well a powerhead in the next few days. I have not taken any readings yet, as its only been a day or so but plan to take readings every 3 days. I used tap water to fill the tank and put in the appropriate amount of Prime in to kill the chlorine/chloramine. I also have the NeoMarine salt ready to add (when should I add the salt? Now? After the cycle?).

Here is a photo of day 1.

Any advice is welcome. I anticipate the cloudiness will subside in a few days, and I'm anticipating a good month to cycle. Your thoughts so far...

Attachments

• tanj.jpg
    tanj.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 86
Add the salt immediately and also add an ammonia source. a raw cocktail shrimp or even pure ammonia would kick start the cycle. Welcome!

Some suggestions I have, some may dissagree...

Put the salt in now.

Get a skimmer soon.

Don't use tapwater anymore, buy RODI from you're local grocery store. Tap water is adding many things you don't want in there.

Have fun and don't get discouraged, getting your salt tank up and running smoothly will take at least 6 months. Go slow slow slow....

Back
Top Bottom