Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

first reef

Ok so I've been thinking about starring areef tank for awhile now.i was gong to do it in my 40 gallon breeder. I'm looking for everyones best ideas I'm willing to take my time and build anything i have to i want it to look good.but i have no idea where to start first things first what do i need for equipment.definatly going with a sump

Old 03-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK, so you are going sump, you are going to need high quality lighting, and skimmer. In your sump you probably want to set up a refugium.

You are going to need rock. Live rock, or dry rock, or DIY live rock. But you need it in the tank for biological filtration.

SRC

55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
San Raphael Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok cool thanks what is the tefugium for
Old 03-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

And how much live rock
Old 03-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Live rock about a pound a gallon give or take.

Refugium allows you to support/shelter life that would not go well in the display tank. Also you can fill it with macro algae and it will use the nitrate in the tank. Lower nitrate means less unwanted algae in display tank.
55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
Old 03-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you guys now how about the fun stuff.stocking ideas i would like a full fledged reef with corals and such and fish inverts etc.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Another question do you think a fluvsl 306 or 405 would be fine? Without a skimmer?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by burf420 View Post
Another question do you think a fluvsl 306 or 405 would be fine? Without a skimmer?
I am running a PennPlax Cascade 1000. Wonderful on its own for a freshwater tank this size, but saltwater is a whole different game. Even with purigen I would say you still need a skimmer. I am removing about 1/2 a cup a day of nasty smelly skimate.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Alright so either way i need a skimmer cool beans
Old 03-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah definitely go against the external filter and get yourself a decent skimmer.

You can do a refuge un but they're not 100% necessary. I'm doing one on my new tank for the same reasons stated before, to prevent nitrates creeping up, prevent algae growth in display and grow Copepods.

Have you thought about how you're going to monitor your parameters? If you're going for a heavy stock coral tank you might want to consider a calcium reactor. You could also manually dose. To start with on my tank I'm going to periodically test my water and do a water change every 5 days. This should do until I get more corals.

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
begginersluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com