Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2013, 03:20 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh and a digital thermometer. The canister is an eheim. I doubt I will incorporate it. It is a 2234, the skimmer is a huge reef octopus skimmer and the wet dry i belive is 25 gallons. Not sure if I will use it or not.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:38 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Regular

my friend DO NOT RUN that canister filter on a reef tank

Old 10-24-2013, 03:43 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

A canister can work on a reef tank, I did it for quite some time and my corals grew like crazy. You just have to be diligent in keeping it clean or nitrates can buildup. Looks like you got a great deal. You can use the canister to run phosphate removers or carbon, you dont have to run it like a typical filter, it can be for chemical filtration. Thats a nice skimmer by the way, looks like my nwb 110 exactly so it should be more than sufficient for your tank.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
A canister can work on a reef tank, I did it for quite some time and my corals grew like crazy. You just have to be diligent in keeping it clean or nitrates can buildup. Looks like you got a great deal. You can use the canister to run phosphate removers or carbon, you dont have to run it like a typical filter, it can be for chemical filtration. Thats a nice skimmer by the way, looks like my nwb 110 exactly so it should be more than sufficient for your tank.
x2 on this, couldn't have said it better myself, canisters are great if you clean them religiously, don't let anyone tell you what not to run ir what best for your tank. Your the only one who can make that decision, if you already have the canister use it and save some cash, plus you already have a wet dry as well so your pretty much set. The reef octopus is a great skimmer as well I was going to get one for myself before I picked up a hydor instead.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Well originally I just wanted the skimmer for $40 but I thought I would offer $70 for everything and he took it. I didn't plan on adding the canister filter to the tank but hey, I just might and see what kind of results I get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

x2 on this, couldn't have said it better myself, canisters are great if you clean them religiously, don't let anyone tell you what not to run ir what best for your tank. Your the only one who can make that decision, if you already have the canister use it and save some cash, plus you already have a wet dry as well so your pretty much set. The reef octopus is a great skimmer as well I was going to get one for myself before I picked up a hydor instead.
Yeah I couldn't pass up the deal. The wet dry I'm not so sure how to use it. I was planning on building my own sump but I may try to go this route not sure yet.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:30 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Regular

conejo this is funny!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak

Any updates
Old 11-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Activist

Trying to find time and money for this at the moment I have the glass ready for the sump just need to cut it
Old 11-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's awesome
Best of luck
Old 11-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you. I'm so excited about getting it up and running but it's sure a slow process I'll be keeping this updated for sure. I'll post pictures of the sump when it's ready. Figure I can sell the wet dry.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com