First reef fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bromion

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I am going to be purchasing the first fish for my reef tank, and I'm looking for suggestions and advice. I have a 55gal tank, cycled and thriving with LR, a few soft corals, and a number of mobile inverts. I would like to get more corals, anemone, and a clam (I have powerful lights).

What are some successful fish for this type of setup that are relatively easy for a newbie like myself to take care of? Of course, fun and interesting fish are preferred. Most of my inverts hide so it would be nice to have something to watch swimming around in there.

Thanks!
Jason

Well for starters you could look into some chromis or damsels, Maybe some Clowns, a Royal Gramma, some Wrasses, Gobies, Basslets, Blennies, the list goes look into www.liveaquaria.com this is a great website offers pictures of fish and there living condition HTH

I personally don't like damsels,they are too aggressive.So I would say get some FW mollies and acclimate them to SW(according to my research and experience it only take 4-6 hrs).They are very colorfuland nip at algae too.

shrimp goby/pistol shrimp combo, sixline wrasse, royal gramma, purple firefish, a pair of perc clowns, some schooling blue/green chromis. You have lots of optins.

I will tell you wehat not to get to save you problem I had. Do not get Dwarf angels. They are beautiful but will nip and kill your soft corals. My favorite reef fish are tangs.

percs are fine too,good choice one will eventually become a female or male so if you only buy a pair you will only have a female and male perc clownfish.The bigger one will become the female FIY.

Can't go wrong with clownfish ;)

Good job on finding a black&white pair. Stores around here rarely if ever have them (or they just bought up too quicly)

Back
Top Bottom