Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The gobies are so awesome. The mushrooms are red mushrooms (actinodiscidae sp.) And that other is deffinately aiptasia. I would recommend aiptasia x and maybe a couple pepperment shrimp to get rid of that ASAP! And the big eye fish is a striped soldierfish, very awesome fish. Do you have a clean up crew (CUC)? Seems you also have a green hair algae problem! I'd get some blue leg hermits and a lawnmower blenny to try to get rid of that. There's alot of other fish that will eat it too and it looks like its getting out of control.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87
The gobies are so awesome. The mushrooms are red mushrooms (actinodiscidae sp.) And that other is deffinately aiptasia. I would recommend aiptasia x and maybe a couple pepperment shrimp to get rid of that ASAP! And the big eye fish is a striped soldierfish, very awesome fish. Do you have a clean up crew (CUC)? Seems you also have a green hair algae problem! I'd get some blue leg hermits and a lawnmower blenny to try to get rid of that. There's alot of other fish that will eat it too and it looks like its getting out of control.
the gobies are fun but they're making me late to work, as I'm heading out the back door there they are all out and "dancing" around as if to say " stay and watch us a while". and after googling the striped soldierfish and the squirrelfish and comparing images to to my fish I'll have to stick with it as being a squirrelfish. also my cuc is under construction there is one large unidentified snail that came with the set up and I have so far added 3 astria snails, 1 nassarius( all the lfs had left) and an army of small hermits(red and blue leg) at 3 for $2.00 I told the girl at the lfs to give me $10 and a handfull of empty shells also, as I said before the seller is going through a divorce, so the neglect was pretty bad, when I got to the house the water was a couple inches low and there was slime on the exposed glass and algae covering every surface and even collecting in free floating clumps, so it's not perfect but is much, much better than it was and getting better day by day

Old 09-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

OK that's good. Looks just like a striped soldierfish buy I could br wrong. U should still maybe consider a hair algae eating fish like a blenny of foxface or something. The really big snail you speak of may be a Turbo snail. Real great cleaners and get big too. IMO the red leg hermits get aggressive and will probably kill the blue legs. Unless they are scarlet reef hermits. I think they get alot bigger than the blueleg too. I've only ever dealt with blue leg. But your off to a good start.the aiptasia is what I would be worried about especially if you plan to get some corals.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

right now the hermits are 1/2-1 inch so still pretty small and hard to tell after only 2 days if they're doing much good as far as adding more fish, I'm waiting a little to see how well I can manage what I already have before I get carried away with new additions
Old 09-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Good approach. You can always pull as much of the hair algae out as possible by hand. That way your crabs might can try to manage some of it. I forget the situation sometimes.LOL.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yep, slow and steady, build my knowledge before trying to build up the tank, hopefully I can learn from others examples before I learn from personal mistakes
Old 09-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would like a couple of opinions, currently the tank is running 3 circulation pumps,a protein skimmer and a fluval 305, I have an oceanic model 75 sump not currently in use, I'm not terribly thrilled with the stock design that has a relatively small chamber for bio-balls with drip tray on top and the out flow to the external pump leaves @ 2.5-3" of water in the sump. my questions are would it be worth putting this under the 65 as is, or would it be better modified to hold live rock and a higher level of water more like a refugium or is it unnessesary with my current set up and just not worth the bother?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

more rock and rescape

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3684620855.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	119293

before

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2261661526.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	119294

after
Old 09-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow! You added a lot more rock!! Lots of caves and crevices- fish will love those!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like the before pic much much better. Way way too much rock for my taste but hey! I you like it that's all that matters.

Is it just a FOWLR or are you planning on doing corals? If corals I really think you should re think the scape a little.

Again just my opinion and what I say isn't gold.

Just looks over packed to me. My eyes are going all over the place. You wanna keep some nice lines and make it look like it was just plucked from the ocean.

Again just my opinion

The Con

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, set-up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com