Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

First salt tank

Hi all the saltys here on AA.

So lately Iv been wanting to convert my brakish water tank which is currently housing 2 bumble bee gobys to a full salt set up. Iv been told every thing I have is good enought to support marine life I have a skimmer incase I ever want to try corals.

The thing thats got me worried is parameters im not to sure what I should have my salt at and my ph. And what kinda tests are needed for corals.

sorry if its confusing or in the wrong forum I need bigginer help.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

First thing what size is the tank

Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Iv been doing my research for a while I have a tank but fish only upgrading to reef tank. Your salinity should be about 1.023 to 1.025. Normal stuff you need to test for is your ph ammonia nitrite and nitrate. For corals you need to test your phosphate calcium and magnesium. I use kent nano reef A-B kit it has all your basic stuff like the calcium needed for corals. For your ph In a fish only your fine with 7.4-8.0 but in a reef tank you need about 8.0-8.4.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

tanks tiny it only a 10g its only good for shrimp gobys or snails but thought about a single sea horse with a shrimp is it a bad idea as the tank is a bit small.

Im open to stocking as it will all be pretty new i think il do fish only for a few months till im more comfy with it.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my current freshwater are at 8 so thats all easy doing ph and salinity my bumble bees sit at 1.008 so Il buy more salt.
If i can get the tank dimenision could you recomend the amount of live rock and sand il need
Old 11-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would shy away from the seahorse at least until you are comfortable with everything. They like to have pristine conditions.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you what would a good bigginer salty fish be. i want some thing with bright colours but not a damsel also would a shrimp be hard to care for in a new set.

Iv also been told that I should set it let it run for at least 2 month just empty so the water parameters can settel in and level out is this correct. my filter has been running for 3 month with the salinity at 1.008 or will my good bios all die when I add more salt
Old 11-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hell keen to start this tank now il have to wait for christmas to pass to palm off some fish
Old 11-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Time means everything when starting. For my 28 gallon I waited about 40-50 days before I added my first fish. (2 clowns) now a ten gallon may not take as long to complete the cycle and stableize but be very careful when adding livestock. Take you time in between. Every animal will add to you bioload and the bacterial needs the to catch up.

As far as livestock in a 10gallon you are pretty limited. A small goby and pistol pair, or perhaps just a small invert tank would be cool. If you lights will allow a small reef build with justa few snails could be nice too. They always say Nigeria better with saltwater so I would suggest if you have the ability upgrade. I love my 28g jbj cube everything is all in one and the water changes are a minimal amout so I don't have to store large quantities of water. That was long hope it helps any questions just ask.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's supposed to say bigger is better with salt! Darn autocorrect.

Tags
salt, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com