First Salt Water Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

77mfan20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright I have a 30 gallon tank. Saltwater of course. So far I have aquatop 150 watt heater that can heat up to 40 gallons. I have it set to 80 degrees for now.(tell me if it should be different) then I have a tetra whisper ex30 filter. It Aldo has a bio scrubber. I just ordered a Coralife lunar something that is very good for corals and stuff. I put in live sand and did my own salt mix. The number is 1.022-23 in the hydrometer. Then I put in some Fiji live rock. But only a little bit. That's it so far. I know about the cycling and all that stuff but I have questions about everything else. Some questions are should you have a hood on the tank or is it ok to be open? Also what are some good corals to add? Light is no obstacle. I want generally cool looking, easy corals. I also plan to add an anemone in the 8 monthish future, depending. I also want to know some good live rock types to get. What to look for and how to place it. Same with corals. Fish wise I will get a clownfish. I want it to host with an anemone. Want a starfish or crab/shrimp thing. And a snail. ( i was told snails starfish and shrimp things don't really count as fish. I was thinking a choclatechip star. Also I would like input on protein skimmers and power heads or something to create a current for the corals and stuff. Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chocolate chips are not reef friendly. You need a power head in the tank so you will not have any dead spots. Coral needs circulation your best bet is to read read research research.

ClayBishop said:
What kind of salt did you use?

I used the standard petco brand for half. Then I heard you want as close to real as you can get. So I went with instant ocean for the rest. Then I mixed the water and put it in the tank.

ClayBishop said:
Chocolate chips are not reef friendly. You need a power head in the tank so you will not have any dead spots. Coral needs circulation your best bet is to read read research research.

Thanks for that I look around for a different small cool looking starfish. What are the good power heads? I'd need a smaller one cause I only have a 30 gallon and it could easily become to powerful.

Back
Top Bottom