First Salt Water Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonraho

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Guys,

So.. a mate of mine is leaving the country and heading back to the UK.. and decided to leave me his salt water tank, stocked and loaded. Which is rather awesome, cause i have always wanted one!

Anyways, i know pretty much nothing on how to keep a salt water tank, as i only keep fresh water tanks.

Attached a pic of the tank i am getting from him in the next few weeks.
Measurements are 48" x 24" x 24" and the sump tank is 48" x 24" x 20"

He has had this tank for 3 years, so not sure if i will need to update any of the equipments.

Pointers on how/where to start? I live in Bangkok and we have warm temps year round. But homes have AC running often.

Feeds? Water changes? Water chemistry? Stocking, what to stock, how many etc etc...)

I am going to make a cover for the tank, and a wooden cover for the stand so everything will be nice and covered. As right now he has it on a metal stand all open.

many many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2557-07-01 at 3.26.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2557-07-01 at 3.26.01 PM.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 169
Do as much research as possible until you get the tank. Only use RODI water for water changes. If he doesn't provide you with a test kit and hydrometer you will need to get one right away. Check out liveaquaria.com for their feeding requirements and compatibility of fish. I will let others chime in on what's already in the tank. I'm pretty sure that tank is too small for a hippo tang.

With an open tank the water will evaporate faster and you will need to top off with RODI water more than with a covered tank. Keep that in mind until you get the cover made.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

you should ask your buddy to give you a crash course of the basics
probably would make him feel better knowing that you know the basics and not leave you in the dark
you would learn more seeing what to do hands on and give you another chance to hang out before he leaves
just to get by till you can get more familiar with maintenance

Back
Top Bottom