Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep some extra shells in there for the hermits, even with them, they still may go for the snails shells when they feel it is time they need a new/bigger one. Might want to add more snails seeing as they do a better job than hermits IMO.

Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I bought a bag of like 500 little shells for the hermits that I am going to rinse out with hot water and scatter them through out the tank. Also, I thought that the hermits served a different purpose then the snails?

Old 09-23-2009, 02:39 AM   #33
is back to save the day!

Err.. 500 is a quite large amount lol. Also, you do know that like everything else, hermit crabs grow right? Once all of the hermits outgrow the size of all the shells you just put in the tank, then what? You will have hermits that want new shells.. and none of those shells will fit them. Then the battle between snails and hermits begin. lol.

Also, hermits and snails do the same thing. Hermits eat detritus, algae, etc.. and snails eat the same thing. Both are part of clean up crews for those reasons.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:47 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hermits and snails pretty much do the same thing, however the snails just do it better as thominil stated. Emeralds also do an awesome job as well.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #35
is back to save the day!

+111111!!!!

I love emerald crabs lol. They're so freakin fun to watch. When you come up to the glass they get all bugged out and scatter back in to the rocks. Haha.. i love those things. But yeah, i would definitely agree that snails do a better clean up job. Right now i only have astreas, and they are really doing a fabulous job. Believe it or not, they have been able to keep the algae on my front glass panel down considerably. Get a cleaner shrimp. They're awesome.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Err.. 500 is a quite large amount lol. Also, you do know that like everything else, hermit crabs grow right? Once all of the hermits outgrow the size of all the shells you just put in the tank, then what? You will have hermits that want new shells.. and none of those shells will fit them. Then the battle between snails and hermits begin. lol.

Also, hermits and snails do the same thing. Hermits eat detritus, algae, etc.. and snails eat the same thing. Both are part of clean up crews for those reasons.
I was told that these hermit crabs I bough were going to stay little, they would get a little larger, but not much. Is that not true?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:41 PM   #37
is back to save the day!

I don't have hermit crabs.. so i don't, from experience, know. But what kind of hermit crabs are they? I can do a little research and find out, for both yours and my knowledge.

Also, if the shells you obtained are a good size to fit a fully grown hermit, then you wouldn't have a problem. But you really never know. I was just stating that 500 is a little overkill don't you think? Having more shells in your tank, won't stop the hermit from going after a snails shell if it feels like it. That's all im trying to say. For all any of us know.. they may never touch your snails, and will stick to the ones you threw in there. But only time will tell eh?
Old 09-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like the extra shells because it's so much fun watching the hermits change shells, then switch to another because there are so many shells for them to choose from. Like a kid in a candy store!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #39

Okay, so I added in the 6 catseye snails, and a dozen mini hermits. I also have a foxface fish, clown fish, arrow crab, brittle star fish and a maroon and gold clown fish. I went away for 4 days and I returned today to find that everything in the tank is covered in brown hair algae. Should I add more clean up crew? I have the lights on timer putting half on for 12 hours, and the other half for 6 hours, which overlaps the second half of the first set of lights. Should I cut back on lights or more clean up crew? Even the coral bottom is brown now.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #40
AA Team Emeritus

Cut back the lighting to 8-10 hours total in my opinion. I'm lazy sometimes and didn't read your earlier posts, but all new tanks get diatoms. Look that up.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com