First saltwater aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ph at 8.3, salinity is a bit low, but not a problem. look at the link in my sig for fishless cycling. You should also consider buying some test kits. API are the best for the value, but you can't go wrong with spending some extra $ on a nicer test kit. Aquarium Water Test Kits | Marine Depot
It took me a little while to figure out, but you'll need to buffer your tank with
Alk and Calcium once you get some lights and coraline/corals. Look for a good two part additive system, since you're running a smaller tank you don't need a calc reactor, the two-part will be fine. I'm assuming you have AC, but if for some reason you don't (like me) that glass top will have to go, in fact, you'll probably take it off anyways, but i'll leave that up to you.

Yea I have a API master test kit. I'm going to get a reef master kit soon. The top is acrylic I have a/c the house remains about 70 degrees or so. I was thinking that I needed a ph buffer to get it to 8.3. I cannot wait until I can put some fish in there. Was thinking about picking up some instant ocean bio spira to speed up the process a little bit. I have a question I know that sone people do water changes weekly is it ok to do them monthly?

What's the easiest way to add salt to a tank to raise salinity?

doing a water change once a month is just asking for trouble in my opinion. Not enough export of nutrients and replenishment of the ones already used. :)

I'd start out with every week and see how it goes. I do mine every week and havent had any problems with my parameters. Most people do weekly pwc's, just the nature of the beast :-D

carey said:
I'd start out with every week and see how it goes. I do mine every week and havent had any problems with my parameters. Most people do weekly pwc's, just the nature of the beast :-D

+1 I do your pwcs everyweek once stocked but at first you shouldn't have a problem doing it every two weeks. A good rule of thumb is 20%.

Picked up some ph buffer today while at work. Let's see how it works. I was at about 7.8-8.0 last night. Looked at the shrimp that was in there and they have what almost looks like a bubble around them. But ammo is still at 1.0 ppm

MikeyD said:
Picked up some ph buffer today while at work. Let's see how it works. I was at about 7.8-8.0 last night. Looked at the shrimp that was in there and they have what almost looks like a bubble around them. But ammo is still at 1.0 ppm

The bubble is what u want. Hold off on the ph buffer till u stock. . Alot can effect ph.. including water quality.. which would make sence if your cycling

So went to the lfs over here. And I told him there was nothing happening with 2 shrimp in my tank so he gave me an adult domino damsel to cycle with also purchased about 8 pounds of live rock from him. And it came complete with a teeny tiny feather duster on it. I'm not happy about cycling with a fish but hey it is what it is. I even brought him a water sample and even he said you should be a little furter along than it was. So we'll see what happens.

Everyone please don't hate me for cycling with a fish oh and I almost forgot added some water from his personal reef tank that was with the live rock he said that would at least help get some bacteria in there

Hey, it's your tank and your money. Just hope it's a quick cycle. Don't feed into the LFS hype though. They usually want the $$ that's why they encourage fish in cycles. Also, there is no benificial bacteria in the water itself. It isn't free floating. It's on the Live Rock and Substrate. Just test regularly and hope for the best for your new inhabitant.

You should've told him to give you some rock from his personal reef tank, instead of water. That would definately have some good bacteria!

Well I bought some rock from the reef tank.

Well today I checked the tests on my tank. Ph is 8.3 ammo is 5-6ppm nitrites are 1.0 ppm and nitrates are at 10ppm the process has started I'm so excited and my salt is 1.023

Ok so the ammo is .50ppm the Trites are 5.0 ppm and trates are 40 ppm ph is a steady 8.3. Is this normal to see those kind of spikes?

Ok so the ammo is .50ppm the Trites are 5.0 ppm and trates are 40 ppm ph is a steady 8.3. Is this normal to see those kind of spikes?

Looks pretty normal to me. You AM changed to Nitrite which is why it came down some, the Nitrite changed to Nitrate which is why the trite came down but the trate went up. That is the normal cycle. Once the BB are well established they should keep the AM and Nitrite at 0 but your Nitrate will alwasy be klimbing up. That means everything is working like it should. Your part is to keep the Nitrate at 20 or lower by doing PWC (partial water changes). That is the only way to get the Nitrate out of the system.

So yesterday ammo at 0 nitrites at 0 and nitrates at 40 did a water change of 10 gallons and gone see about putting some fish in tonight. When my wife gets home she wants to reward me by buying fish she wants. Lol I guess it's a reward since there will finally be fish? But anyways couldn't have done it without you guys on aa. Thanks everyone

My new anemone, black edge clowns, domino damsel and green mandarin.

Attachments

• image-809244284.jpg
    image-809244284.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 97
  • image-3797771634.jpg
    image-3797771634.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 98
Back
Top Bottom