Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to nohika
You have pods for the mandarin, right? Lots of them?

Old 08-29-2011, 12:51 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Activist

Was looking into that my wife bought it when I was at work. So what exactly does it eat? What are pods exactly? I can't return the fish cause they have no refunds and I don't want him to die so I guess I'll have to figure it out quickly

Old 08-29-2011, 01:33 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to nohika
I'm probably not the best or most qualified person to answer, but I'll give it a shot. Most mandarins eat solely pods which are small creatures that live on your live rock. If I can remember right, they go through like hundreds a day. Most don't eat prepared foods. Some do, like ORA, but even they can revert. There are pods in a bottle but they're expensive. At this point it may be your only option. How much live rock do you have?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would find a home for the mandarin unless he is an ORA and actually does eat prepared foods. My ORA doesnt really like prepared foods but I have pods so all is not lost.

They can take up to several months to starve so you have some time, but not much. Once her tummy is caved in it's usually too late.

If you have a fuge or refugium you can add pods to that and if you have ALOT of live rock you might be able to get some growing but thats a big maybe.

Good luck, and lesson learned, research before you buy. I got taken in by a "scooter blenny" which I was promised would eat anything. Well guess what, he only eats pods too. LOL Luckily it only took a few months to get him on prepared foods but they are easier to do that with than mandarins.

Let us know how it shakes out.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yea Carey I found a place that has the pods in a bottle so I'm gonna pick it up tonight and put it in after I get out of school. Yea I was mad at the wife for not asking what it eats. But he/she was beautiful.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh, yeah, no doubt they are one of the most beautiful fish in saltwater in my opinion.

The bottles of pods generally run about $15 each and she will eat abotu 2 bottles a week.

Do you have a fuge or refugium? How much live rock do you have and how big is the tank?
Old 08-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Activist

40 gallon tank about 25 pounds o live rock at the moment. Do not have a fuge or anything like that.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I won't lie, youre in for a tough time most likely with that mandarin. If you had a refugium and LOTS AND LOTS of live rock seeding the tank with a few bottles might be enough to last but if she won't eat prepared she'll bankrupt you just buying pods.

Good luck is the best I can offer. Maybe you'll get lucky, you'll know in a few months....
Old 08-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Activist

So I have this anemone. It started 2 days ago looking good. See picture and then today it looks like see other picture. Is it dying? Is there anything I could do to help this?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Activist

Pics of anemone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1072829258.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	49441   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1045227793.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	49442  

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com