First saltwater aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was looking into that my wife bought it when I was at work. So what exactly does it eat? What are pods exactly? I can't return the fish cause they have no refunds and I don't want him to die so I guess I'll have to figure it out quickly

I'm probably not the best or most qualified person to answer, but I'll give it a shot. Most mandarins eat solely pods which are small creatures that live on your live rock. If I can remember right, they go through like hundreds a day. Most don't eat prepared foods. Some do, like ORA, but even they can revert. There are pods in a bottle but they're expensive. At this point it may be your only option. How much live rock do you have?

I would find a home for the mandarin unless he is an ORA and actually does eat prepared foods. My ORA doesnt really like prepared foods but I have pods so all is not lost.

They can take up to several months to starve so you have some time, but not much. Once her tummy is caved in it's usually too late.

If you have a fuge or refugium you can add pods to that and if you have ALOT of live rock you might be able to get some growing but thats a big maybe.

Good luck, and lesson learned, research before you buy. I got taken in by a "scooter blenny" which I was promised would eat anything. Well guess what, he only eats pods too. LOL Luckily it only took a few months to get him on prepared foods but they are easier to do that with than mandarins.

Let us know how it shakes out.

Yea Carey I found a place that has the pods in a bottle so I'm gonna pick it up tonight and put it in after I get out of school. Yea I was mad at the wife for not asking what it eats. But he/she was beautiful.

Oh, yeah, no doubt they are one of the most beautiful fish in saltwater in my opinion.

The bottles of pods generally run about $15 each and she will eat abotu 2 bottles a week.

Do you have a fuge or refugium? How much live rock do you have and how big is the tank?

40 gallon tank about 25 pounds o live rock at the moment. Do not have a fuge or anything like that.

I won't lie, youre in for a tough time most likely with that mandarin. If you had a refugium and LOTS AND LOTS of live rock seeding the tank with a few bottles might be enough to last but if she won't eat prepared she'll bankrupt you just buying pods.

Good luck is the best I can offer. Maybe you'll get lucky, you'll know in a few months....

So I have this anemone. It started 2 days ago looking good. See picture and then today it looks like see other picture. Is it dying? Is there anything I could do to help this?

Pics of anemone

Attachments

• image-1072829258.jpg
    image-1072829258.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 116
  • image-1045227793.jpg
    image-1045227793.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 96
I may be repeating a question already answered but what kind of lighting do you have? Did you feed it recently? Mine would ball up after eating and kinda poop while in the ball shape and then go back to normal. When you do feed it make sure its tiny pieces, nothing too big as that can cause issues with them. :)

I have a 36 inch solarmax high efficiency it has. 10000k and acintic bulbs. I've been adding the Kent solution for them. Should I try feeding frozen squid or something like that

I would try small pieces of seafood, I used to feed frozen silversides cut up inot small pieces. You have a 4 bulb light then? 2 whites and 2 blues? Cause a 2 bulb system probably isnt gonna cut it for a nem. :-( That is if you dont' already have the 4 bulb setup. :-D

No it's just a 2 bulb system. He ended up just droppin a deuce. And he came back out bright eyed and bushy tailed.

Well it appears that my mandarin goby loves the frozen marine cuisine food. Picking up copepods tomorrow afternoon. And a cleaner shrimp

So here's my tank now. Stock list as follows 20 nassarius snails, a coral beauty angel, a spotted mandarin , a green mandarin, 2 black edge clowns, a cleaner shrimp , 5 blue leg hermit, a red starfish, a electric blue hermit and a pink tip anemone. And about 40 lbs of live rock some Fiji some totoka rock some Florida coral as well. Everyone seems so healthy and happy

Attachments

• image-3007701844.jpg
    image-3007701844.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 105
Back
Top Bottom