Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

First saltwater aquarium

Finally got everything situated. Let me start off by saying wow startup cost is expensive but going to be worth it in the end. I have a 40 gallon tank with live sand, live rock, a fluval 305 filter a 200 watt heater and I'm picking up my dual t5 ho system with led moonlight. Going to put about 30-40 more pounds of live rock. A flame angel, couple clown fish, some jawfish, a decorator crab, some cleaner shrimp, a flame hawkfish and a starfish as well as some anemones. I think I did it right. I was big into freshwater had numerous tanks. How long does it usually take to filter the water to where it becomes clear again about 24 hours or so?

Old 08-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can save some money buy buying dry rock less than half the cost of LR. (Why pay for water weight?) live sand is a farce it sits on a shelf for months buy dry sand. Buy 6-10 lbs of live rock it will seed all the other rock get a cup of live sand from your LFS just be sure they take it from a coral tank that way you know there's no copper in it My tanktook 2 days to clear but my sand is sugar sand very fine grained

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I work at petsmart that's where I got my sand from and we received it that day that I bought it. I was gonna try to find some dry rock from somewhere. We really don't have many lfs near me anymore all are about an hour away.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

these guys are good
ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Rock

Old 08-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'll second support for the base rock from reefcleaners.org - I just got in 30lbs from them last week and it's pretty awesome. Check out the photos on the SW build thread in my signature for what their rock can end up looking like.
fouldsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Will do grizz I definitely need way more rock in there
Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fouldsy nice 20g. Looks real sweet
Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

So can I speed up the process by dropping in a shrimp in there?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD View Post
So can I speed up the process by dropping in a shrimp in there?
yes you can Pls dont cycle with fish theres a tread on fishless cycle. LR will shorten the time it takes to cycle your tank

Old 08-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi! Congrats on the new set up!! I have a 40 gallon breeder tank as well. I bought my (dry) rocks from MarcoRocks.com His rocks are awesome!! Startup is definitely expensive....but my advice is to buy the best you can afford now, or else you might regret it! When I started I was looking for the cheaper route and I ended up upgrading a few things. If you plan on having corals, go for the best lighting system, even the bulbs make a difference! I bought some cheapo lights in the beginning and then I upgraded to real bulbs (twice the price) and what a difference!! The cycling process seems to take forever! It's hard to look at an empty tank! The wait is worth it though, you don't want to hurt any new livestock!! Good Luck

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com