Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #121
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos69 View Post
Is that ammonia test your using a 2 bottle test or just 1 bottle?
neither, 3 bottle. i am using a Marine Lab Red Sea test kit

Old 03-05-2011, 01:19 AM   #122
Aquarium Advice Freak

my cycle has been going on for over 3 months now and i am still getting the same test results.

ammonia-.25
nitrite-.1
nitrate-20-50

i know this is a huge learning curve for me but what do you guys suggest i do? i am getting a gut feeling that i am doing something wrong.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:43 AM   #123
Aquarium Advice Freak

How can your nitrates be 20-50? are you losing hermit crabs or snails? Kinda weird question have u tried another test kit get an api ammonia kit just a thought and have u done a pwc?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #124
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i can't see how you could have so much die off and not see it. i mean actually see dead things on the rock. i have no answers for you at this time except to check your test kits against others.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #125
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos69 View Post
How can your nitrates be 20-50? are you losing hermit crabs or snails? Kinda weird question have u tried another test kit get an api ammonia kit just a thought and have u done a pwc?
i havent done a PCW in over a month, maybe 2. i havent tried another test kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i can't see how you could have so much die off and not see it. i mean actually see dead things on the rock. i have no answers for you at this time except to check your test kits against others.
i will go to my LFS and get some of there water, have them test it then ill go home and test there water with my kit and see if i get the same results.

i might try to start over again, ill change out my shell substrate with sand, PWC and put another shrimp in.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #126
Aquarium Advice Freak

try to let your LFS test it for u first before u start all over again...
Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #127
Aquarium Advice Freak

ya I would not start over, that would only bring you through the same steps that got you here.

I would test your water, then bring a sample of yours to the store and compare your resuts to theres to find out about your kits.

How much live rock do you have in there? And what are you using as other filters, sorry thread too long to go back and look.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:19 AM   #128
Aquarium Advice Freak

^^ it's ok, I don't like reading old posts from long back either.

25lbs liverock, I recently crushed up the most dense so I can maximize my surface area. I replaced my ceramic pieces with the crushed liverock

Fluval 305 canister filter
82 degrees F
1.023 specific gravity

While I put the liverock in my filter ( in 1.5/3 trays, the other 1.5 trays is the carbon material in the bags) I also did a 15% pwc.

What I mean for starting over, remove rock and replace shells with sand (figure its better to do this during the cycle rather than after), pwc of atleast 30-50%, than put another shrimp in.

Btw I use distilled water with red sea salt, distilled water is easy and most practical for me atm.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #129
Aquarium Advice Freak

I took some water samples to two different fish stores. One store used a API test kit and got the same results I did. The other store used the strips, which I don't prefer but still came up with the same results

Today's results where

Ammonia-.25
Nitrite- .1
Nitrate- 0-20

I guess getting rid of those ceramic balls/canister media helped lower nitrates, as well as the 15% PWC I did on monday
Old 03-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #130
Aquarium Advice Addict

What was the highest your ammonia got?

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com