first saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea true, I guess I over looked simple math.

I'll let it run for a few more gals and do a pwc tomorrow

I'm doing a 20% pwc today and also cleaning my canister filter. I tested my nitrates and they were at 20!

My bio load is low and I don't understand why they are so high. Would a protein skimmer help with my nitrates by removing some of the debris in the water?

How often do you clean out your canister filter? They can be super breeding grounds for nitrates. I use one on my 55g sw and I have 0 nitrates, so it can be done.
:)

Thats sounds like a solid schedule. I use a skimmer as well as the canister, how big is your tank again? maybe a skimmer would be helpful :)

20 gal long

Live stock in the tank

-2 clown fish, one adult one baby.
-2 feather dusters
-1 anemone
- 1 mushroom frag
-2 polyp frags
-1 red starfish
- 1 cleaner shrimp
- 6 crabs
-1 turbo snail

I feed every 2 days , everything in the tank looks and behaves healthy

No, I don't even know how to test or check it.

Total Dissolved Solids right?

They aren't very expensive. You can get a hand-held unit or an in-line unit you plumb into your system. I got both with my RO/DI. The inline unit will let me know when the filters need to be changed by beeping and flashing a light. I do tests with my water also with the hand held to make sure everything is good. Plus I can take it around town with me and test other water :)

Not that I've seen. :-( You can get them online for less than $20 or maybe a lfs will have one, if they sell ro units they probably will carry it, just will cost more I bet.

Well since I just set up the RO/ DI unit I think I have some leeway time before I can get my hands on one.

What is everyones opinion on getting a protein skimmer to help my nitrates?

In a 20 gallon tank you get more benefit with water changes that you will with a skimmer IMO

Some bad news everyone, my small clown fish swam too close to one of my powerheads, I'm sure you can imagine what happened next :( I'm very upset because he was a beautiful fish, very active and the eye catcher of the tank.

In remembrance of the clown, I thought it was a good idea to give another fish a new home :)

This Royal Gramma adds new color to the tank and I hope he will be a longterm addition to the tank family. He is a bit shy now, hiding in my favorite piece of LR because of the caves but hopefully he will find the tank welcoming and be an visible active fish

What type of powerhead do you have that would suck up a fish that easily?

I used the pump from a HOB filter that I dissembled, the suction side is about a 3/8-1/2" in diameter. 100gph, I don't think it's the powerheads it's more of the fact the fish always swim in the two top corners.

--------

What do you guys think of me taking out my turbo snail? I did a pwc today and I voiced how much poop is on the ground from him! I think he is the messiest in the tank by far, maybe he is doing more harm than good?

Here are the most recent pics.

The royal gramma stays in the back wall of the tank behind all the rocks and just paces back and forth

Turbo snail is extremely messy, idk if I should take him out or not ...?

Also, how is my sand bed looking? Healthy with the color?

I also bought the 2L bottle of SearchEm Matrix bio media for my canister :)

img_1409862_0_a47866f2bf60cdf96c307d5a0138e302.jpg

img_1409862_1_d66c6da6e4f0c1362b776d7702b0ac62.jpg

img_1409862_2_be6e1bfc5db531c26fa09c2cc2055204.jpg

img_1409862_3_24e10b41fbb1e3b1af1de386ee07c4eb.jpg

img_1409862_4_0726616826d2fc43f85aebf2b5ff7462.jpg

Back
Top Bottom