Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #141
AA Team Emeritus

I know your tank is young but I can't help but think about you crushing rocks. And looking at the substrate. Looks like crushed coral, known nitrate factories. Still the tank is young to have a buildup like that. How deep is that substrate? Have you vaccumed it when doing pwcs? Rock rubble, not crushed is gonna be your best bet fir the filter. Maybe changing the substrate too to finer sand could be a consideration.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #142
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
I know your tank is young but I can't help but think about you crushing rocks. And looking at the substrate. Looks like crushed coral, known nitrate factories. Still the tank is young to have a buildup like that. How deep is that substrate? Have you vaccumed it when doing pwcs? Rock rubble, not crushed is gonna be your best bet fir the filter. Maybe changing the substrate too to finer sand could be a consideration.
Yea I heard about the shells, I was going to change it for sand when I do the final pwc of my cycle.

No I haven't vacuumed it because I thought with out any fish waste/food settling in it wouldn't be a problem. It's less than one inch.

Another thread recommended to crush the rock up, isn't that what rubble is?

Old 03-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #143
Aquarium Advice Freak

how do u want to change it with sand..??just asking...
i dunno where did u read such thread about putting LR in canister....there are microorganism on that LR need lights to survive...JMO, remove it will be better options...just my 2cents...maybe other reefers could help on this....
Old 03-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #144
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdhalim
how do u want to change it with sand..??just asking...
i dunno where did u read such thread about putting LR in canister....there are microorganism on that LR need lights to survive...JMO, remove it will be better options...just my 2cents...maybe other reefers could help on this....
How do I want to change it? Take all my rock out, scoop out the shells ( the majority of it) and after I clean the sand I'll put it in, let it settle, turn my filter on, put rock in and hope I did it right...?

I don't remember exactly where but I heard it's better than the bio balls/ ceramic media I had in here.

I'm starting to think here is no other way to do a FOWLR with out a sump . Which i would like to avoid because of the space and the money.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #145
Aquarium Advice Freak

if u planning on doing like that, its look like u will start all over again....but make sure u submerge your LR in water to avoid any died organsm on it...or u need to start cycle again...
yes u can do it without a sump, n u're on the right track from the start....but the problem is where your ammonia source came from...u need to find it....n im not argue with u with such info where LR is better than bioballs/ceramic media...but its depends how frequent u do the cleaning process with the media...
anyway, how long your LR had been there in the canister..??
Old 03-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #146
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdhalim
if u planning on doing like that, its look like u will start all over again....but make sure u submerge your LR in water to avoid any died organsm on it...or u need to start cycle again...
yes u can do it without a sump, n u're on the right track from the start....but the problem is where your ammonia source came from...u need to find it....n im not argue with u with such info where LR is better than bioballs/ceramic media...but its depends how frequent u do the cleaning process with the media...
anyway, how long your LR had been there in the canister..??
It's been in there for about 3-4 days I believe.

I would like to keep the canister but of course get the correct supplies for it so it does it's purpose. I don't mind cleaning it weekly or bi-weekly if needed.

I don't understand about the ammonia source, I never really had a spike in ammonia.

So I should change the shells with sand asap than if it will start the cycle over again correct?
Old 03-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #147
Aquarium Advice Freak

im not sure about that....
JMO, u can change the shells with sand/aragonite but do not change the water 100%...maybe u can do 50% PWC while change all the shells but be sure your LR in water....u still need the old water so that u dont need to start the cycling process from the beginning...JMO.....
Old 03-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #148
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok thanks you for your help. I was planning on picking up some sand at a pool store or home depot. Something fine grain and cheap in bulk. Or would buying sand from an established tank a better idea?

Note to self, next time.... Buy an already established tank. Cheaper in the long run I think
Old 03-10-2011, 11:18 PM   #149
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnice17 View Post
Ok thanks you for your help. I was planning on picking up some sand at a pool store or home depot. Something fine grain and cheap in bulk. Or would buying sand from an established tank a better idea?

Note to self, next time.... Buy an already established tank. Cheaper in the long run I think
u can have some of sand from the establish tank to add together with your new sand...this will help u in the cycling process..make sure dont bring it home dry coz it will be no meaning for u...lol
dont understand what did u meant on your note...:P
Old 03-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #150
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdhalim View Post
there are microorganism on that LR need lights to survive
which are these? if there are small creatures that are photosynthetic on the rock, they aren't necessary, nor are they beneficial.
that said, i wouldn't put rock rubble in a cannister. i would probably use it for carbon.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com