Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 296
ok i understand about the rock.

i like amount of movement in the water with one HOB filter on each back side of the tank, so thats good. the HOB filters have a lot of surface movement on the top of the water so does that help with not needing a protein skimmer?

i am reading about protein skimmers, and it seems some people just do PWC to take care of the surface build up.

would keeping the skimmer be good if i cant get around to a PWCs? i am full time student so some weeks i have more time than others.

i am also turning it off now to help the cycle ( from what i was reading)
__________________

__________________
tnice17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:39 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
there should be no surface buildup. a protein "skimmer" is a name given to them, but it's not actually a component that skims from the surface. the correct name for them is foam fractionator. they make large amounts of bubbles and organic compounds stick to the bubbles' surfaces and rise with them to the top of the chamber where they fall over the side and are able to be removed.

you are getting these confused with "surface skimmer".

to stop a film from the surface, you only need to aim a power head or some flow device towards the surface to agitate it. the HOb filters might be doing that as they pour back into the tank actually.
__________________

__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
there should be no surface buildup. a protein "skimmer" is a name given to them, but it's not actually a component that skims from the surface. the correct name for them is foam fractionator. they make large amounts of bubbles and organic compounds stick to the bubbles' surfaces and rise with them to the top of the chamber where they fall over the side and are able to be removed.

you are getting these confused with "surface skimmer".

to stop a film from the surface, you only need to aim a power head or some flow device towards the surface to agitate it. the HOb filters might be doing that as they pour back into the tank actually.
gotcha, thanks for clearing that up for me. ill keep it in the tank and turn it back on once my cycle is complete.

do you have any other suggestions on what will help my tank?

so far i have...
-get new pads
-more live rock
-removed the air stone
__________________
tnice17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i think you are good. add the live rock, wait a few weeks and start checking for ammonia and nitrite to go down to zero.
btw, i would want all of the live rock in the tank before i added the shrimp, unless this rock is already established/cured and is transported in buckets/bins fully submerged in SW. - and even then, check for ammonia spikes.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i think you are good. add the live rock, wait a few weeks and start checking for ammonia and nitrite to go down to zero.
btw, i would want all of the live rock in the tank before i added the shrimp, unless this rock is already established/cured and is transported in buckets/bins fully submerged in SW. - and even then, check for ammonia spikes.
i got the live rock from the store that was already in an established tank.

the live rock i am getting today, i just spoke with the guy and he said its in his tank already go.

i already have a cooler ready, and he said he can provide water to transport it in.

i dont want to jump the gun by asking this question, but are there any hearty fish? the beginning of Jan i am starting my new management classes and between commuting to school/work load, once my tank is cycled, if i get a fluctuation of something i would be devastated if a fish passed.

would anything from an established tank help my cycle? im sure the owner of this live rock i am getting has a decent setup if he has 50lbs of live rock to sell. lol.
__________________
tnice17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
yes, if this rock is truly from an established tank and already has a strong bacteria colony on it, and is transported so as to limit die-off, you might be able to skip the cycle and just experience a diatom bloom on the new surfaces.
i'm not saying this is the case. i still think you should expect a cycle and test accordingly.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 296
off to petco now to get new pads, and maybe a underwater flow pump to help eliminate the dead spots once i get more rock.
__________________
tnice17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
yes, if this rock is truly from an established tank and already has a strong bacteria colony on it, and is transported so as to limit die-off, you might be able to skip the cycle and just experience a diatom bloom on the new surfaces.
i'm not saying this is the case. i still think you should expect a cycle and test accordingly.
fantastic. sent you a PM.
__________________
tnice17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 296
just got a test kit and two new filter pads

pH - 8.0
Ammonia - .25
Nitrate - 2.5 low range
Nitrite - .1
__________________
tnice17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 332
tnice17, u are in a cylce process....just wait and see until ammonia and nitrite = 0.....after both reading 0, u can do 30% PWC and add fish slowly....
Good job!
__________________

__________________
abdhalim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saltwater Reef Tank vrs Saltwater Fish Tank ESL12 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 27 02-27-2009 01:03 AM
can i turn a 10 gallon tropical fish tank into a saltwater tank? samanthajean0x Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 2 02-22-2009 06:59 PM
Wanting to start a saltwater tank, What equpment for my tank boostd2valve Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 1 12-23-2004 11:10 PM
crushed coral from saltwater tank re-used in freshwater tank Sandy Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 4 01-14-2004 12:05 PM
Convert Saltwater tank to Freshwater tank? Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 5 12-08-2003 03:17 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.