Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #211
Aquarium Advice Freak

Idk what apapters I need but my father is very diy kinda guy so I'm sure there is an adapter I need in the box of parts.

I heard there is a hose for waste water, should I get a can with a pump it in just draining somewhere?

Old 06-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #212
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, the waste water comes out about 2 times as fast as the pure water so prepare for a lot to drain off. I run mine on the back patio so I can water the grass and flower beds with the waste water.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #213
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have garden hose adapters somewhere just need to find them.

Can I turn the valve on each time I need to do a pwc and just manually carry the waste water outside? Would the water water be drinkable?
Old 06-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #214
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wouldn't drink it. lol if you had a big enough container to hold the waste water I'm sure you could do it that way.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #215
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any of the water, whether waste or pure, should be good to drink because it is the water coming out of your tap anyway. Even the waste water would be better than what is coming out of your tap!

I'm not sure I understand the question about turning the valve on each time. You will want to make the water at least a day in advance in order to mix the salt and get it to the correct temp. Once you do the water change you can start making some fresh RO/DI, so that is when you would turn it back on (just don't mix it with salt and let it sit for a week).
Old 06-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #216
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry for my wording, maybe I dont understand...

How would I make RO water come out of the unit? Is it as simple as inlet/outlet?

If so, for the inlet, can I put a ball valve on the inlet and just open it everytime I want RO water?
Old 06-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #217
Aquarium Advice Freak

I hope this new unit will greatly improved water parameters, I have to go back to school in August so I would like my maintenance to be low at that point
Old 06-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #218
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Any of the water, whether waste or pure, should be good to drink because it is the water coming out of your tap anyway. Even the waste water would be better than what is coming out of your tap!

I'm not sure I understand the question about turning the valve on each time. You will want to make the water at least a day in advance in order to mix the salt and get it to the correct temp. Once you do the water change you can start making some fresh RO/DI, so that is when you would turn it back on (just don't mix it with salt and let it sit for a week).
I Would not drink the waste water from your RO/DI unit. Yes, it is from your tap, but with concentrated levels of impurities because the super clean water was removed and is the end product that we use for our reef tank.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #219
Aquarium Advice Addict

So... after doing some research I stand corrected... thincat is right. I just "assumed" because it was going through some filters it should be good but it turns out the waste water will have around 30-50% more TDS in it as the pure water is removed... basically turns it into a concentrate.

Sorry for being wrong on that one!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #220
Aquarium Advice Freak

Everytime I look at this shroom he spreads more and more! I love it!

One polyp is getting me angry, first he broke off the base so I placed him on this liverock but my big turbo snail must have knocked it over, can I glue the polyp to the like rock? Cuz he is in a spot where the base plug won't fit.

How long will it take for him to attach to the rock if I leave him as is.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com