Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Little update for test results today

Ammonia - between 0-.25 ( hard to tell with colors)
Nitrite - .1
Nitrate - 20 low range ( 100 high range)

with my nitrate being at 20ppm, i believe my cycle is doing quite well, correct?

my water level in the tank went down from evaporation, would it be safe to fill it back up to the correct level? i dont want to disturb the cycle process though...

Old 12-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
yes, keep the tank full.
you've got some time yet before the cycle is over. still have ammonia present.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Agreed, time is the key. Went through same thing you are as most do, my nitrates took about 3 months to hit zero and stay there. Added a yellow tang at somewhere around 3-4 weeks in, he died in the first week. As did my camel shrimp I got with the tang. He lasted about a week longer, but you don't want to waist the money and the poor fishes lives. As said time is the key, time and patience.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:56 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

i dont mind waiting. it is giving me time to do some research, and with school starting up in 2 weeks i will be preoccupied and time will fly.

if i decided to go with a canister filter, will i go through another mini cycle?

i was going to get a few powerheads, but i figured.... if i have to spend around $50 on the powerheads, i might as well spend the extra few bucks and get a canister filter. craigslist has some cheap ones, i will go with no other brand besides Fluval.

is it possible to get a to powerful canister filter? i will be getting the one with the best deal, either if its a 305 or a 405.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:07 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

JMO.....instead of buying cannister, why dont u try sump.....?
Old 12-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdhalim View Post
JMO.....instead of buying cannister, why dont u try sump.....?
the display tank is a 20 gallon.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

How much LR did you say you have in there? If you have the right amount of rock per gallon then you may not need the canister. Putting the powerheads in there will give you more movement around the rock which should help in filtering. If you do decide to get a canister, know that you will have to buy the media for it.
They require cleaning as well, though you can take the filter pads out to help.
Fluval is good, I have a fluval 303 on my 55 gal reef. Do you have any other filters on that tank? And no I wouldn't worry about a mini cycle, your tank is still cycling, now would be the best time to put one in.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso View Post
How much LR did you say you have in there? If you have the right amount of rock per gallon then you may not need the canister. Putting the powerheads in there will give you more movement around the rock which should help in filtering. If you do decide to get a canister, know that you will have to buy the media for it.
They require cleaning as well, though you can take the filter pads out to help.
Fluval is good, I have a fluval 303 on my 55 gal reef. Do you have any other filters on that tank? And no I wouldn't worry about a mini cycle, your tank is still cycling, now would be the best time to put one in.
just a hair more than 25lbs, its a bit crowded in there but function over form for now.

i dont have any filters rather then my 2 HOB filters, rated at 100GPH each.

will a canister filter help if i decided to over stock the tank slightly? im assuming yes...?

if i cant get around to maintenance for the tank ( with school/work) the canister filter will help keep things more stable too correct?

------------

update on the tank...

i have green algae starting to grow on some of my live rock, shows that my set up/water quality can start establishing life!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

With a 20 gal fowlr tank you should be good. If you ever want to add coral, which is a hardthingto resist with salt water, you need about 30 lbs of LR. I would go 35 for good measure. I would get rid of those two hang on power filters and get a canister. This will help with the water quality while your away if you fill it with the right stuff. They need cleaning as well and are no excuse for not doing water changes. You can either do more rapid partial water changes, or you can do large monthly changes. In your case you should go with
monthly.

Sounds like your off to a good start hope everything continues to go well.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:58 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would not try overstocking the tank. just learn with this one, and then move up to a larger system once you've got it down.

algae is hard to kill. during the cycle, you don't need to run your lights, and in many cases, it could be detrimental running the lights, since the nutrient level during the cycle is high. it's a perfect environment for algae to thrive.

a cannister might be better than what you have. what HOB filters are you using currently?

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com