first saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
time to rig up my other DIY Aqueon powerhead! thank you Mr_x & Kelso

After a few days of some nice surface movement, no more signs of the build up. :)

Ammonia - 0-.25
Nitrite - .1
Nitrate - 20

^^^ thank you. a few days ago, my nitrates were at 10, now they are at 20. what is the reason for this?

i am trying to read up as much as i can for understanding cycling. so far i have... ammonia>nitrite>nitrate. nitrite breaks down ammonia, nitrate breaks down nitrite.

i just dont get why my nitrates increased and my nitrites have always stayed the same.:confused:

ps- when i picked up all that live rock in the beginning, there must have been a small small frag on it, when my lights are off... the bright purple/red reef expands his white tentacles. when the light is on, he shrivels back up. he is very small, about the size of this...O

It's not so much the chemicals breaking each other down as the bacteria that are part of the cycle. Bacteria break ammonia down and "convert" it to nitrite. A separate set of bacteria turn this nitrite into nitrate. The nitrate will build up at this stage, where it is used by things like macroalgae or removed by water changes. A cycled tank should show no ammonia or nitrite present.

^^ thats a little easier to undestand, thank you.

im not jumping the gun here, but i started to do some homework on stocking the tank, there is so much to learn so i figured the earlier i can start the better.

the stocking list i have in mind is...
- black/white Ocellaris clownfish (would i be possible to add another orange/white clownfish? i wouldnt want to breed them BTW )
- 1 or 2 firefish
- turbo snail
- cleaner shrimp

i am open to all stocking suggestions, feel free to tell me what you think might a good stocking list.

I had luck when I added my two clowns at the same time. If one is already established in your tank, there's a way higher chance he will fight and possibly end the intruder. There is still always the chance they may battle still, esp given you have a 20 gal.

list is good, I would throw in a few hermit crabs in with your cleaning crew.

yea the hermit crabs would be good for the shell like substrate i have.

what would be the best way for adding fish from my stocking list?

i know not all at once, both clownfish first? then both firefish? and shrimp before all of them?

Ammonia - 0-25 ( this is the hardest reading to judge, its yellow but has a hint of green. very deceiving)
Nitrite - .1
Nitrate - 10-20

i guess the wait still continues...

i still dont have my protein skimmer hooked up, when would be a good time to get it running?

protein skimmer is up and running

tested the water again and still have the same results.

i was doing some HW and found that towards the end of the cycle they add a shrimp to boost the ammonia again to see if the nitrites can break it down. this way i wont have a mini cycle in the future.

i have yet to see a dramatic nitrite spike, it has been at .1 for the past few weeks.

another great update is that i definitively have a Polyp or Aiptasia growing on one of my LR. its very small but he comes out when the light is off, he is bright red with white tentacles . must have been attached to the LR when i bought it :)

that's not aptasia. i'm betting that's a Pseudocorynactis. they are ok..they don't get very big and they don't reproduce like aptasia.

some of those look beautiful!
the only down side i found , is that it can not safe with fish or invertebrates. wtf, i can understand if one gets big, but mine is so small. there is no way it can do any damage.

4 weeks into the cycle, all this anticipation! i will be very excited when the tank starts to establish.

Fluval 305 is working flawlessly so far. i would like to read up on the different filter media, now i just have what it came with.

na..there are many species of them. the ones in our tanks stay small and are no threat. don't worry about it.

A marine aquarium is an aquarium to keep marine plants and animals in a contained environment. Marine Aquarium is further subdivided into amateur fish (as), fish only live rock (FOWLR) and reef aquarium.

A marine aquarium is an aquarium to keep marine plants and animals in a contained environment. Marine Aquarium is further subdivided into amateur fish (as), fish only live rock (FOWLR) and reef aquarium.

yes i am aware of that information, thank you.

i will be doing a very lightly reef tank, if it can remain reliable.

If you see any aptasia get rid of them them whileyou can!! Haha They can run rampid :eek:

If you see any aptasia get rid of them them whileyou can!! Haha They can run rampid :eek:

but he looks cute :cry: only thing in my tank that i watch, the turbo snail blends in with the live rock so he is hard to find.

Back
Top Bottom