first saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know your tank is young but I can't help but think about you crushing rocks. And looking at the substrate. Looks like crushed coral, known nitrate factories. Still the tank is young to have a buildup like that. How deep is that substrate? Have you vaccumed it when doing pwcs? Rock rubble, not crushed is gonna be your best bet fir the filter. Maybe changing the substrate too to finer sand could be a consideration.

austinsdad said:
I know your tank is young but I can't help but think about you crushing rocks. And looking at the substrate. Looks like crushed coral, known nitrate factories. Still the tank is young to have a buildup like that. How deep is that substrate? Have you vaccumed it when doing pwcs? Rock rubble, not crushed is gonna be your best bet fir the filter. Maybe changing the substrate too to finer sand could be a consideration.

Yea I heard about the shells, I was going to change it for sand when I do the final pwc of my cycle.

No I haven't vacuumed it because I thought with out any fish waste/food settling in it wouldn't be a problem. It's less than one inch.

Another thread recommended to crush the rock up, isn't that what rubble is?

how do u want to change it with sand..??just asking...
i dunno where did u read such thread about putting LR in canister....there are microorganism on that LR need lights to survive...JMO, remove it will be better options...just my 2cents...maybe other reefers could help on this....

abdhalim said:
how do u want to change it with sand..??just asking...
i dunno where did u read such thread about putting LR in canister....there are microorganism on that LR need lights to survive...JMO, remove it will be better options...just my 2cents...maybe other reefers could help on this....

How do I want to change it? Take all my rock out, scoop out the shells ( the majority of it) and after I clean the sand I'll put it in, let it settle, turn my filter on, put rock in and hope I did it right...?

I don't remember exactly where but I heard it's better than the bio balls/ ceramic media I had in here.

I'm starting to think here is no other way to do a FOWLR with out a sump :( . Which i would like to avoid because of the space and the money.

if u planning on doing like that, its look like u will start all over again....but make sure u submerge your LR in water to avoid any died organsm on it...or u need to start cycle again...
yes u can do it without a sump, n u're on the right track from the start....but the problem is where your ammonia source came from...u need to find it....n im not argue with u with such info where LR is better than bioballs/ceramic media...but its depends how frequent u do the cleaning process with the media...
anyway, how long your LR had been there in the canister..??

abdhalim said:
if u planning on doing like that, its look like u will start all over again....but make sure u submerge your LR in water to avoid any died organsm on it...or u need to start cycle again...
yes u can do it without a sump, n u're on the right track from the start....but the problem is where your ammonia source came from...u need to find it....n im not argue with u with such info where LR is better than bioballs/ceramic media...but its depends how frequent u do the cleaning process with the media...
anyway, how long your LR had been there in the canister..??

It's been in there for about 3-4 days I believe.

I would like to keep the canister but of course get the correct supplies for it so it does it's purpose. I don't mind cleaning it weekly or bi-weekly if needed.

I don't understand about the ammonia source, I never really had a spike in ammonia.

So I should change the shells with sand asap than if it will start the cycle over again correct?

im not sure about that....
JMO, u can change the shells with sand/aragonite but do not change the water 100%...maybe u can do 50% PWC while change all the shells but be sure your LR in water....u still need the old water so that u dont need to start the cycling process from the beginning...JMO.....

Ok thanks you for your help. I was planning on picking up some sand at a pool store or home depot. Something fine grain and cheap in bulk. Or would buying sand from an established tank a better idea?

Note to self, next time.... Buy an already established tank. Cheaper in the long run I think

Ok thanks you for your help. I was planning on picking up some sand at a pool store or home depot. Something fine grain and cheap in bulk. Or would buying sand from an established tank a better idea?

Note to self, next time.... Buy an already established tank. Cheaper in the long run I think

u can have some of sand from the establish tank to add together with your new sand...this will help u in the cycling process..make sure dont bring it home dry coz it will be no meaning for u...lol
dont understand what did u meant on your note...:p

there are microorganism on that LR need lights to survive
which are these? if there are small creatures that are photosynthetic on the rock, they aren't necessary, nor are they beneficial.
that said, i wouldn't put rock rubble in a cannister. i would probably use it for carbon.

Cool, I'll start looking in some local aquarium enthusiast forums for sand.

By my note I mean i just think it's easier and cheaper to buy something already set up. I am also a huge subaru enthusiast too so picture buying a new car verse fixing a used one, sometimes you open a can of worms . Which my aquarium hobby is turning into haha!

------

Mr X - I'll take the rock out and try to find a few more pounds for the tank. I suppose I should replace my carbon now too

Tested my water again today

Ammonia- .25
Nitrite- .1
Nitrate- 50!

Does anyone have an idea on why my nitrates are so high? I just did a 15% pwc earlier this week.

Would scrubbing my LR help? Since it is also curing as my cycle is continuing.

i would be more concerned about the ammonia and nitrite. i don't think pulling the rock out and scrubbing it is going to help at this point. just wait it out.

^^ ok cool.

I saw a bristle worm come out of one of my liverock today, so something must be going right lol

Ammonia is usally a bi product of aenorobic bacteria. Look up the cycle of a tank it should explain it. But I would listen to MrX, he gives very good advice and knows what hes talking about.

just to keep everyone updated on my tank...

i am moving out of my apartment next weekend so while i do the move i will be keeping 75% of the water and replacing my shell substrate with 20lbs Figi Pink Live Sand.

my live rock has some distinctive color as well

i have been cleaning my canister filter every 2-3 weeks

Here are some pictures for anyone interested

Attachments

• image-3920400373.jpg
    image-3920400373.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 145
  • image-1339672418.jpg
    image-1339672418.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 124
  • image-4293655949.jpg
    image-4293655949.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 138
carey said:
Looks good! What did you use for substrate? It looks purpleish. :)

Well it was white when I got it, it has turned purple over the course of
Time that my tank has been set up for. Roughly 5 months

Back
Top Bottom