First saltwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am toying with the idea of turning my 20 gal tank into a salt tank after I move my puffers into their new tank. I have never done a marine tank but I've wanted one forever, and for the past year having a brackish tank has got me even more curious. Most likely my 20 will go back to fresh once the fish get moved, but I've been thinking about having a small reef tank. I will be moving my puffers to full marine when they mature, so I figure having a little practice before then can only help.

My question is, what equipment would be necessary to make this happen? Would I need a sump? Do I need a canister or is my HOB alright?

For a 20 gallon, IMO a sump isn't necessary, and you can use your current HOB filter. :)

If you wanted to, you could also add a protein skimmer, but I think the rule is 30 gallons and up requires one.

If you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask! :)

Last edited:
Hah, great! Now I'm really tempted if I don't need all sorts of new equipment. Went to my LFS today and saw a few small salt tanks, so pretty. Besides, it would be easier to take brackish to marine than to wash the salt out of everything...
Any stocking ideas?

Hah, great! Now I'm really tempted if I don't need all sorts of new equipment. Went to my LFS today and saw a few small salt tanks, so pretty. Besides, it would be easier to take brackish to marine than to wash the salt out of everything...
Any stocking ideas?

I would look into Clownfish, Firefish, Gobies, some Cardinalfish, and Blennies. :)

I'd suggest damselfish first... Then maybe blennies or angelfish.
A 20 gal tank is a little small for a saltwater tank, if you ask me though.

Back
Top Bottom