First saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StrawberryBlonde7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
I only started a 10 gal freshwater tank in April but love it so much was convinced by the LFS to start a 55 gal saltwater tank. I have done a lot of research but would like some opinions. 'm just starting and hope to get a skimmer about 6 months down the road start up is expensive
What I have currently: set up almost a month ago, cycled
55 gal tank and salt water 28h x 48.5w x 12.75d
About 60 lbs cured live rock ( not sure if I need more) I like the way it looks now
40 pounds crushed coral
15 lbs live sand ( I plan to add more live sand as soon as the LFS gets more in- how much more do I need?)
Two. Marineland penguin bio wheel power filters (wheels removed) model 200
Light hood I think it is 32 w
Heater

2 ocellaris clownfish biggest about 2.75 inches ( the male did the submissive seizure dance less than 5 minutes in the tank) they mostly hang out in a pot together hoping one day they will breed
3 snails
Sand sifter starfish
Two single small polyps that hitched a ride on the live rock :)

My long term goal is to have a colorful peaceful reef and fish tank
I am considering the following fish it will be slowly,
Breeding pair of firefish
Yellow watchman gobie with pistol shrimp ( does the type of pistol shrimp matter)
Three deep blue chromis
6 line wrasse
Starry Bennie
Mandarin gobie eventually to be added last when well established
I want to add cleaner shrimp, snails, hermit crabs, not sure what types or how many would be appropriate
Depending on how bioload is maybe a spotted sharp nosed puffer but I think it's a little dicey

I am a little concerned with the combo of firefish/ watchman/ starry Bennie. What do you think?
Also have a diatom bloom right now annoying the heck out of me , suggestions would be appreciated thanks so much

Attachments

• image-714708388.jpg
    image-714708388.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 86
You may want to rethink the puffer. I believe it's not reef compatible and semi-aggressive.

Scratch the puffer I thought I read it was more peaceful and the only puffer that didn't eat soft corals?

Dont waste your money on "live sand" regular sand will become live pretty quick, save for a light upgrade once you start on corals you'll never go back lol Be sure the starfish are reef safe as well as any fish it will save you some headaches down the road.

Back
Top Bottom