Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

First saltwater tank!

He title says it all I'm am getting ready to embark on my first saltwater reef tank. I picked up a 35 gallon tank and stand on Craigslist for 25 bucks and am in the process of cleaning and re siliconing the tank so it's gonna be a few days but I need to know a few basics. Im completely new and am looking for a good jumping off point what equipment will I need and how much live rock will I need?

Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

This is a good start to reading. You'll want about 1 lbs of rock per gallon, same with sand.

We have a series of articles to help get you started

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What kind of tank are you going for? I've been considering getting a salt tank (if I can find a good deal on things lol) and that seems to be the most important factor that determines everything else.

Like in a Fish Only with Live Rock (no corals) you want like 1.5/2 pounds of Rock per gallon. But in a Reef I've heard/read 1 pound/gallon is good. Also, although still highly recommended, a skimmer isn't 100% needed for FOWLR. Finally, light wise, I don't think that a FOWLR needs the same amount/quality of lighting as a Reef. Like you can "get away" with some compact fluorescent lights in FOWLR instead of going MH or LEDs.

Note that I'm not an expert so take that with a grain of salt... this is just information I've gathered from time here reading articles and forums. I've not actually put any of this information into practice though.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was just on there read a few articles already lol

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com