First saltwater tank: Dwarf sea horses(read before telling me not to)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xweetokgirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, my name is Ali. I'm new here so I am in need of some advice. I already have a beautiful freshwater aquarium that is thriving. Now I want to upgrade to a saltwater. Now you have to understand a little about me. I LOVE a challenge. I am going to be a marine biologist when I'm through with school. Getting my diving certificate this month. Now I don't want to be told how difficult this is going to be. I have so many empty aquarium set aside for this. They are my favorite sea creature despite their size. I want to have dwarf sea horses. I need to know how to start a saltwater tank, what equipment I need, and what specifics for the sea horses. I just need information. Everywhere I've looked I haven't found complete info like I need. I have a 5 gallon hexagon tank, and a ten gallon regular rectangular tank set aside for just the sea horses. I know how to breed brine shrimp(sea monkeys) I did it when I was little and to feed my bettas. But I want to do this right with NO mistakes. Thanks, let me know if you can help. :)

I was also wondering about tankmates for the dwarves. I heard snails and micro starfish are good, and am looking into those. But I have a question. Can I place a feather duster with the dwarves? I looked around but didn't find anything helpful.
I want to be sure any organic life form is compatible before I risk it. If they aren't compatible that's fine. I just thought they'd look cool.

Last edited:
For dwarfs you'll need a sponge filter as most power filters will cause to much flow in the tank, some plants for them to hold on too as well as a place for babies to hide in. Feather dusters are fine but most like more flow than the dwarfs can handle. You may want to put a small pile of rock rubble in a corner and see it with pods No hermits though as they will eat the pods as well as the dwarfs
Of course you'll need a heater and light and a little luck I found the dwarfs easy to keep, mine bread about 6 times a year
PS try to get tank bread as they seem to be a bit hardier

Ok went and checked my journals No hermits No shrimp Small cleaner gobies and Nass snails are ok And they breed like guppies Keep us posted would like to see how you do

Thanks, I'll remember not hermits. I had a large hermit for a while until my cat got him. What amount of salt do the dwarves need? That's one of the things I couldn't find. I don't have access to my laptop right now so, I'm doing all my reseach on my phone, a blackberry curve. Not the best for research but I'm doing my best. Also what about temperatures?

Dwarf seahorses can be kept in 3 gallon aquariums. I like these creatures too since they don't require a big tank.

Thanks:), I won't be able to set up the tank for a while. I just found that out sadly. I'm 15, so I have to raise the money for the equipment. I thought my dad was gonna help, but apparently not. So I have to find a way to raise money. Now I'm planning on using plastic decorations. Do I need to place those in the tank before I cycle the tank? (I'm asking this for money purposes. If I don't need them that one less thing I have to buy right away)

I heard you could put micro starfish with the dwarves. is that true? Because that would be awesome.

The good news is your setting up one of the cheapest salt water tanks, you can use a CFL bulb in a clamp on light Put the plastic plants in when you start the cycle as it gives more surface area for the bacteria. micro stars are ok with dwarfs Biggest cost will be the pump and heater Take you time and do it right only bad things happen fast in salt water

Wow, I have the heater already. Pump as in, air pump? I bought one for my betta fry already. Too bad I never got them to breed. I have a sponge filter too. I read that you need a lot of other equipment, can you tell me the very minimum that I need?

You will need a ro/di unit, a skimmer(maybe?), filter, heater, tank, live rock, plastic plants or sps corals (just something to hang on), substrate, and a hood with light.

Thanks, I'll see what I can find. What is a ro/di unit? I'm kinda new to aquarium keeping. Only been at it for a year. I'm also really bad with abreviations. Most I can guess. But some are harder.

3-5 gal tank a 10 leaves to much room for the pods to escape. But is more stable I'd go with that. Air pump to run a sponge filter Heater some kind of light 2-5 lbs sand and some plants real or plastic Salt and RO or Distilled water and a test kit you will need it to watch the cycle and keep the water in good shape Here's a site i found lots of good advice
http://www.fusedjaw.com/aquariumcare/dwarf-seahorses-as-pets/

A ro/di unit is a reverse osmosis (and two things I can't remember) unit. You can get one from bulk reef supply.
I am planning on starting a dwarf seahorse tank too! (if my dad let's me) I am a year younger than you so I am limited to such things too.

You shouldn't have to buy an RO unit for a 3 gallon.
You can buy saltwater premixed from most lfs for around a dollar a gallon.

You wont need a skimmer or a RO/DI You can get RO water from wal-mart for around $2 for 5 gal I had around 25-30 dwarfs in a 10 gal and changed 2 gal out every week my trates never went above 10 ppm Just rinse the sponge filter in the old tank water once a month Man you guys are making me want to start another dwarf tank lol

Sorry, in all the research I did I was planning for a 29 gallon. I thought it would be the same for a 3 gallon.

Glad your doing your research Just keep in mind dwarfs are week swimmers I tried a small hob and it was sucking them into the intake and killing them

thank for posting this! I have a 10 gallon cycling for freshwater but then was given a new 10 gallon so Im turning the cycling one into my betta's new tank. and I was thinking about setting up the other 10 gallon for these little seahorses!

I was thinking of setting it up with Live rock and some Saltwater live plants like Sea grass more than coral(but that could be a opt too but being a 10 gallon I dont know tbh and not stinging corals =P)

Thanks for all the great advice. Does anyone know where I can buy asterina stars? I've looked and cant find anything from a professional store. My dad will only let me buy things from professional places. Internet is not always safe and blah blah blah. I know it's true. But its annoying.

I don't think they sell them because they are considered pests but if I ever see one I'll try to get it to you. That will be well after my tank works though. If you buy some live rock from petco it usually has some on it.

Back
Top Bottom