Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-01-2005, 07:09 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Check this out for clown pics... http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=27

There are more simple anenomes that don't need a lot of light. I've never had one, but advice given on this board by others say there are some easier ones. They also require other unique care like feeding, water flow, and caution about getting sucked into powerheads. I've heard of'm settling into areas in the tank where they are more hidden.

You can cycle the tank and cure the rock at the same time.

Does everyone agree with this having to wait a year before trying to keep an anenome?
Search some of the threads on the subject. There maybe some who've had earlier anenome experiences but the majority of the discussion is about more mature tanks and after some practive and consistency in maintaning water quality - sometimes described as more difficult to do with only 20g.

Any hope for...say... a larger tank. 40G maybe?

I'd recommend blue/greeen chromis instead of the more territorial damsels anyday. I think 3-4watts per gallon in a simple power compact lighting setup will give you what you need.

Keep us posted on your reading assignment (Fenner) and your selection/decision process as a result.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:52 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
I agree that not all anemones need metal halide. I have four different varieties and only use power compact lighting. But, I'm one of the ones that will advocate waiting nine months or better before adding one to your system. And just so you know, most anemones will outgrow a tank that size. I would add fish first. Give yourself some time to make sure this is what you want before jumping into the expense of corals and anemones. And, corals are more sensitive to changes and need a stable tank to really thrive. I would wait a few months for them. The common clownfish is the occelaris or percula clowns and they would do well in a tank that size. They are hardy and not as aggressive as some other clowns. I would choose some that are tank bred. Clowns can only manipulate their sexes while very young. The way I understand it is, they are born neutral and one will get bigger and become female while one will stay small and become male. Curing your liverock while cycling is a good idea. Any die off will add to the cycle process.

Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote

salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com