Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2011, 02:14 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

You know, i started out with a fish only tank. But then I went to the store and saw a small coral I liked. So I started with one, but soon I liked another one and another little one. Before you know it your also into corals. I made the mistake going with not enough light in the beginning and I did spend more on lighting later on. (and in a rush because my corals needed light) Listen to previously mentioned advise and buy some good lighting from the start.
And I also agree, koralia powerheads are very reliable. Coralife makes a decent skimmer. T5. Lights will do for soft corals and heaters are just heaters in my eyes.
Get a digital thermometer, test kits, some prime and hydrometer or refractometer (they are more precise)
Also maybe a glass and gravel cleaner.
Oh yes and fish food.
Yes I am done now!

Old 11-16-2011, 03:25 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Go refractometer for their precision. (About 30 bucks on ebay)
I highly recommend the koralia as well
Before you really make any decisions on lighting, sump, filtration, you need to decide what kind of setup you want. (Fish only, fowlr, reef) this will determine what you need in terms of the equipment I mentioned (lights sump skimmer etc) also if possible, try planning for the future as well... for instance, if you truly know you'll never want corals, you don't have to buy high end lighting...

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know where you are located but check on local forums. There are a couple great forums in NC that I have gotten sweet deals off from.

You can go on youtube and find out how to make a sump if you want a diy project or even how to set one up. If you go with a sump get your tank drilled it is much much easier to plumb and a lot quieter. You can get by with a canister filter if you keep it very very clean.

About the coral thing my friend insisted he wasn't going to do coral in his tank in less than a month he was.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

is there a certain kind of refractometer i should look for?

i am pretty set on doing a fowlr setup for my first salt water tank. not really interested in a reef setup. so i will probably go cheaper on the lights to save some cash. is there a certain light i should go with to keep algae growth down?

i've also been doing research on some sump setups and it seems like it would be easy enough to build a 20 gallon sump setup. what would you guys recommend if i went that route? i also still like the idea of running 2 aquaclear 110s and using one of them as a fuge. that just seems like it would be pretty simple to setup.

definitely going to go with the koralia powerheads.

which skimmer would work well without breaking the bank? and could i get one if i decide to do the 2 aquaclears for simplicity in the begging and then use the same one if i upgrade to a sump setup later down the road?

sorry for all the noob questions. just want to make sure i do it right the first time.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

also joy i am in salt lake city utah. but i'm actually from greensboro nc. i just moved out here about a year ago.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:42 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

alright I may have found the tank i want to get. a local guy has it. its a 72 gallon bowfront with factory overflow and corner drilled for the return. comes with a stand, hood, pacific coast imports genx gx6000 return pump, koralia 4 powerhead, 4XT5HO w/Workhorse 7 Ballast lighting, and an extra 29 gallon tank to make a sump/fuge out of.

here are some pics. comes with everything you see.

here is the explanation to the pics the seller sent me.

So explanation of some of the pics. You can see the rubbermaid I am running now. With the pump and plumbing. Then I wired it so there is one plug in and then a power center with switches all wired underneath. Took a side pic too so you could get a better idea of that also a close up of the back and the coraline and also a few mushrooms that are stuck to the back. The last is the empty 29 gallon I was going to put underneath there.

he said it has been up and running for a couple years now. he also said he would let me have the fish that are in it now if i want them. it has a scopas tang, lawnmower blenny, green chromis and a nemerus chromis.

he wants $400 for all of the above. what do you guys think?
Old 11-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

anyone care to give me there thoughts on the tank i posted?

also im thinking of going with a reef octopus 6" pinwheel in sump skimmer.

what ro/di system would you guys recommend? don't want to have to make trips to the fish store every time i need to do a water change.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

alright worked it out with the seller and i will be getting the 72 gallon posted above but for a little better price than he originally wanted

it is up and running with live rock, sand, and a few fish at his house now. im going to leave it there for a few weeks since i am going to be moving soon. once im moved in ill pick up the tank.

till then i am going to start building the sump for it. a 29 gallon tank comes with the 72 which is what i plan to use for the sump but wanted to ask here before i start if that is a good size? or should i pick up a 20 gallon to use?

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com