Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

First saltwater tank. what do i need??

alright guys i am considering setting up my first salt water tank. i am planning to do a fish only tank with live rock in a 55gal. but i am considering going with a 75 instead of the 55. i will be moving to a new place in a couple weeks so when i am there is when i will get the tank but i would like to go ahead and start getting some of the other smaller things i will need.

so what all do i need?

what filter should i go with?
what powerheads?
protein skimmer?
heater?

basically what are the basic things i should start shopping for to get me up and cycling once i move?

thanks.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well you need lots of $$. All the rest are preferences.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

haha yes i am figuring that out. thats why i am trying to plan things out now so i have an overall idea and can start accruing things slowly.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can't help out really but I too am going into SW for the first time. This is what I'm going with.

http://www.google.com/search?q=red+s...&client=safari

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

i really like the idea of that having everything i need come with it. but i'm wanting to do something a little bigger plus not really looking to do a reef setup right now.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPballer76
i really like the idea of that having everything i need come with it. but i'm wanting to do something a little bigger plus not really looking to do a reef setup right now.
Gotcha, sorry I can't help more. The whole SW thing is new to me and a friend is helping me out with setting it up. He owns a LFS so that's why I'm going with that one. He pretty much has everything and I like the fact that one cord gets plugged in, that's nice. A few mods and I'll be happy.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

no problem man. that looks like a great option im just not sure its right for me.

the main thing i am confused on is how the best way to setup the filtration system would be? would i be able to use an external canister filter? or would i need to do a sump setup? if i need to do a sump how and what do i need for that?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Two of the most important things are a refractometer and a liquid test kit.

Since you aren't doing a reef tank now do you plan on a reef tank in the future? There is no sense of getting a light only to upgrade it 6 months from now because you decided to go reef. For a light check out the fishneedit lights you can get a 4 tube t5 reasonable and will be able to keep some corals later on if you desire.

A sump is great because it is all hidden away and you can have a skimmer without having to worry about the micro bubbles the HOB make and a place out of sight to put a heater. Second choice would be a pair of 110 aquaclears one turned into a fuge and the other for filtration.

For cost and reasonable quality I use koralia power heads.

A skimmer I like the reef octopus that I have.

The sand I try to stay away from crushed coral because it traps a lot of food and stuff.

You can get base rock and seed it with a small piece of live rock from someones established tank.

If you are trying to save money check the local forums and craigslist.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:46 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Craigslist will save you like 75% from new prices. Just be patent and find what you are wanting!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:16 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

thank you for the info joy! i am not planning on switching to a reef anytime soon and if i ever decide to that it will be in a bigger tank years down the road.. this one i just want to get up and running with fish to learn about salt water and maybe add some live rock.

i've been trying to read up on sump setups but i'm still pretty confused on what is need to run one and how to make it all work. any suggestions? also what are some reasonable priced sump setups? i realize saltwater is expensive but i don't want to pay more than i have to.

would the pair of 110s do the job for what i am trying to do? they are pretty cheap so i could definitely go with a pair of those. and then the reef octopus skimmer.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com