Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
First Signs of Life

Live rock has only been in the tank for two days.

This morning I saw a tiny snail climbing up the glass. He was the size of a poppy seed. If he didn't move I wouldn't have thought it was anything but a white dot.

I also fould a tiny star fish attached to the glass and moving along slowly. It was all white with 3 legs along one side and 3 short legs (half the length af the others) on the opposite side. I thought all star fish have only 5 legs. Don't they. ????

Aquatic life has begun. 8)

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Haha, isn't it exciting to find new stuff on your rock?

I'm one of those fishnutz, who are actually nutz.
FishFrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Charlie! Good to hear that everything is working well for you. The small white circles are most likely copepods. Dont bother too much with them because eventually when you add fish they will have a nice yummy snack and over a week or so dwindle the population and they wont be such an eye sore.
Trameltanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
it is possible its a snail, and pods are not a eye sore they are a sign of a healthy tank. You want MANY pods in you tank and different types of worms. All signs of a healthy tank.
Yes, fish will eat them but hopefully some will be left behind to populate. I enjoy looking at the pods in my fuge as much as my fish some days... Who would have thought about all the little critters in a fish tank..
The stars are commone hitch hikers and when they loose a leg it most times turns into a new star. So you probably got a frag of a star and its turning into a full one. Some stars have 6 legs.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:15 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I used to have one of those micro stars( I call them) and I have hundreds of them now . Wish you the best
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com