first sw aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chiefs101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a 29 gallon aquarium for a little more than a year now and am wanting to start a salt water aquarium for awhile. I dont want anything to big but i want a small reef. Something just to get started. I have no clue what size tank i should get or anything so any advice would be appriceated.

Well, a lot of that would depend on what you will be wanting to keep in the tank. You may want to do a little research, maybe look around liveaquaria.com for some things that interest you. Do you want a reef, or just a tank with fish and live rock? Give us a few more details about what you want and we can probably help you more.

I have a 29 gallon reef right now. 130 watt PC lighting (soon upgraded to MH) with LPS and soft corals, 2 clownfish. Of course though, the bigger the better. A 29 gallon is not that big for a sw tank. So if you want a tank with a larger emphasis on fish, I'd go with atleast 55 gallons or larger if you can.

Hope this helps.

29 will work but as Lindsay said the bigger the better. The bigger the water volume the more forgiving it will be on your mistakes and procrastinations. You`ll need about 1.5-2 lbs of LR per gallon and a skimmer for good biological filtration.You`ll need a lighting system that matches the type of corals you want. So many questions so little time. Hope all goes well.

Back
Top Bottom