first SW, some RO/DI questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i got a handed down 55GPD coralife RO/DI unit and have since replaced all the membrane, resin, and cartilages. i also have an inline dual TDS meter. i tested the water out of the faucet which register somewhere around 15-20TDS. since this is my first RO/DI unit and first time replace all the important membranes I'm not so sure about the red line (dirty water line).

The water out of the red line is creamy, which is very surprising. when i use my TDS meter, it registers a surprising >100TDS. is this normal? the shot up in TDS and the creamy water?

It happens with new filters you'll need to let them flush, toss the first 100-150 gallons of water

It happens with new filters you'll need to let them flush, toss the first 100-150 gallons of water

i have heard people recommending throwing away first some-number of gallon of water before but here's my question. my TDS meter registers 0PPM for the purified water, i don't want to throw away useful water. so, should i still throw away this water?

Not if it's reading 0 ppm I'd say the system is flushed The "creamy" waste water could be full of air giving it creamy look.

Not if it's reading 0 ppm I'd say the system is flushed The "creamy" waste water could be full of air giving it creamy look.

that's some quick "flushing" because it only took my unit about 10min to flush out the creamy water. as a matter of fact, the TDS reading of the purified water was almost 0PPM instantaneously, as oppose to decrease of PPM over some time. i have tested my TDS meter so there can be nothing wrong with it.

Hey taste it. Pure water is odd tasting. No minerals for flavor.

Seriously though I used mine when it reads 0.

Sounds good I flush out each filter in order for about 3-5 min. Sediment flush then add the carbon flush run some thru the membrane then hookup the di throw out the first two or three gal.

I wouldn't drink RODI water. its believed that De-ionized water is bad for the human body

oh really? maybe i need a third opinion on this since we're tied at 1for and 1against. i just remember back in the days we used DI water for chemistry/science classes. maybe it's not as relevant but let's get a third opinion on this. we all know RO is good, but DI?......maybe we should vote on this:whistle:

Don't drink it makes things shrink.i heard its not good for you I was talking about your water tds and not having to waste a lot of good water that you could use in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom