Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sounds like a good plan and I don't blame ya on shying away from the quad-bulb setup...that would be some stadium lighting for the tank

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

im subscribing ! good luck!

Live streams down until my lighting schedule is back to normal
newbjank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ordered the AquaticLife T5 HO 30" 48W Marine dual lamp fixture today.

The water is starting to slowly clear up - with using live sand, I didn't want to rinse it all out like I would have done normally with sand or gravel, but it has meant it's taken a little longer to settle. I'll try to get a photo later, and then hopefully start the cycling process by dropping in a shrimp
fouldsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouldsy
Ordered the AquaticLife T5 HO 30" 48W Marine dual lamp fixture today.

The water is starting to slowly clear up - with using live sand, I didn't want to rinse it all out like I would have done normally with sand or gravel, but it has meant it's taken a little longer to settle. I'll try to get a photo later, and then hopefully start the cycling process by dropping in a shrimp
could you send a link from wich site you ordered it from. I haven't been able to find your exact model any where. I also have a 30" lighting fixture tthat needs replaced.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I got it from Foster & Smith - Aquarium Lighting T5 Fluorescent Light Fixture: AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp Light Fixtures
Old 08-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay, so here's a couple of photos now everything has settled down:

And closer up of the rock work:

I'm pretty happy with how the base rock turned out. Hopefully the AquaticLife unit arrives as fast as the other equipment did, as I'd really like to see how this looks without just the ambient room lighting (which isn't great anyways, as you can see from these photos!).

Going to check over the filter media to see if it needs replacing after clearing out all the junk from the sand, then I think it's time for Mr Shrimp to take one last swim (well, sink...) and start the tank a' cyclin.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

The rock-scaping looks prettttyy sweet.
Good luck

Old 08-02-2011, 01:37 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cool looking
Nice rocks.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm hoping to start a small SW tank soon, so I'll be following your build too! Good Luck on everything! Hope you don't mind me occasionally adding in a question or two about the steps you're going through.

I'm just starting on the "which lighting would I get" research, so I looked at the lighting you got. IMO the ability to connect more at a later time, if and when you need them is awesome. While I was reading, I noticed on the one you ordered that "Depending on the type of marine aquarium inhabitants, the Lamps may need to be replaced every 9 to 18 months." Is this a normal estimated time? Is this one of the company recommendations to swap out a lot earlier than needed to get more money, or is it actually a necessary swap out?

I also didn't quite catch the answer to the Watts Per Gallon question.. it's outdated, but what's a better rule of thumb to go for? The net has all sorts of conflicting info, and I've found AA seems to have some nice and informative help.

Once again, Good LUCK!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think that's probably somewhat acceptable on lights. I've seen recommendations on replacing every 6-9 months which, IMHO, seems slightly along the lines of trying to get the customer to purchase lights more frequently than needed. But, there does appear some validity in bulbs losing the ability to deliver lighting at the specific wave lengths and intensity over time. It's also maybe somewhat worth bearing in mind that AquaticLife, in my case, aren't forcing me to buy their bulbs - there's quite a few alternative brands I could purchase, so it's not simply them trying to gain some extra dollars. I don't see an issue in looking at replacing a pair of bulbs every 12 months or so. Others may chime in with more specifics from the units they've ran over time. And yes, I think expandability is useful so I'm not replacing an entire unit in 12 months or so Hopefully the AquaticLife unit will be here over the weekend and I can let you know what I think!

As for the watts per gallon, I really don't know. I think it does depend a little on what you're hoping to do. For fish only (FO) or fish only with live rock (FOWLR), it doesn't seem to matter on lighting, as it's more for you to be able to enjoy the fish and keep their bodies somewhat in rhythm. When it comes to a reef system, it seems more the intensity and ability to penetrate deep in to a tank, along with the range of the bulbs rather than a specific amount of watts per gallon. Again, in my circumstances, I think a pair of 24W bulbs, one at 10k and one actinic, should be enough for me to grow some basic corals or polyps, but I want to be able to manage the FOWLR tank before researching what would fit well and be comfortable under those light conditions.

All the best with your adventures! Hope some of this helps.

Tags
20 gallon, build, first sw, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com