First SW tank - my 20g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heading away for the weekend, so didn't even get to unbox the new lights - this was as close as I got!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110805_170909.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110805_170909.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 145
Well, looks a little nicer with the lights out of the box! I really dig these lights :D

IMG_4047_edited-1.jpg

Cycle is slowly progressing. Kinda wish I'd had a little bit of live rock or something to seed it with, but content to just let it happen.

I am struggling a little with the powerheads in terms of positioning them so they don't keep re-arranging my sand. I think the Pro-400 in wavemaker mode is the culprit as the far right of tank ends up with just the larger pieces of substrate left, with all the finer sand building up in front of the rock next to it (you can see it in the photo). I mean, I'm glad there's plenty of water movement, but would like at least a little of the sand to stay on the far right hand side as that's the side you can see from the living room!

Thanks for the support guys :brows: Starting to see the nitrites appear now.

I switched it down to just the one powerhead that's set up for circulation. It's rated to create way more flow than is necessary when it's running as circulation/wavemaker, so especially in just a 20g long, it might simply be pushing too much water. I'll leave it for a day or so and see how the sand reacts. If it's still a problem, I'll just run the regular powerhead which does like 1/4 of the flow than when in circulation mode, and see if that helps. That would have with about 10x turnover per hour, 15x turnover if I then converted the circulation/wavemaker back to regular powerhead.

Back
Top Bottom