First SW Tank: Nano 24g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you figured out what kind of light you have yet? How many tubes does it have, it could be either a compact fluorescent or a t5. I am actually thinking because of the size it is t5's. The front of it the front logo will say nano cube 24 if that is what size it is and a JBJ. If it is a 2 tube t5 light you can have softies and lps if it is 4 tube you can have easy sps.

mdavidson said:
Sorry just saw the pic. It does look like a jbj and with out the exacts on the light I would say u can do softies for sure. Until u get q rodi u could just get the water from a grocery store its what I do for .29 a gallon. U can do a fuge with just the back of ur cube. Check out mediabaskets.com

I'll check it out for sure

And carey, I think I'll get that in a while since its not to expensive. For now I'll just buy water.

But about the cycling. How should I go about this? Since it already has a coral in and had fish until yesterday it must be partially cycled but I imagine theres some die off.

Thanks for the help everyone, I really wanna do this right my first time.

joy13 said:
Have you figured out what kind of light you have yet? How many tubes does it have, it could be either a compact fluorescent or a t5. I am actually thinking because of the size it is t5's. The front of it the front logo will say nano cube 24 if that is what size it is and a JBJ. If it is a 2 tube t5 light you can have softies and lps if it is 4 tube you can have easy sps.

Well I'll see around 4 o'clock today and keep you all updated

Oh ya it also comes with a skimmer, not sure what kind

But if I wanted could I add a refugium later or do I need to do it before livestock and corals?

If it has already hafish and coral in it it should already be cycled. If you transport it with water in buckets and put erything back in it should be ok. Both of my biocubes was established for roughly a year before I picked them up

mdavidson said:
If it has already hafish and coral in it it should already be cycled. If you transport it with water in buckets and put erything back in it should be ok. Both of my biocubes was established for roughly a year before I picked them up

Ok thank you. I'm so excited to get it!

So I get it put all the water and rock back in and get it all set up. How do I keep it cycled since there are no fish in there yet?

All the beneficial bacteria will be in the sand and rock and filter. I would get it home put it back together and test the levels in a few days. I let my tanks sit 2 weeks before adding everything new. Was a pain transporting water for an hour n a half drive but worth it

mdavidson said:
All the beneficial bacteria will be in the sand and rock and filter. I would get it home put it back together and test the levels in a few days. I let my tanks sit 2 weeks before adding everything new. Was a pain transporting water for an hour n a half drive but worth it

But if I leave it with no ammonia won't the bacteria die?

No. How long has the tank been running? Transporting the tank and water everything should b fine

mdavidson said:
No. How long has the tank been running? Transporting the tank and water everything should b fine

It was well established but hasn't had fish since the day before yesterday

Woo!, just got it t my house, so excited! Picture soon

I would say put it all back together. Do a pwc in a couple days and test the levels. Should b good to start slowly stocking after. Its what I did w my biocubes

I have so many questions.
1. How high up should the bubbles go in the skimmer?
2. Where should I point powerheads?
3. How much surface agitation

I'll have more soon.. Haha

Enough surface agitation? Too much?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111122_230307.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111122_230307.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 96
  • ForumRunner_20111122_230320.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111122_230320.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 100
Well tomorrow I'm going to finish figuring everything out then go get test kit, refractometer, more live rock, and possibly a clean up crew but idk.

Back
Top Bottom