First SW Tank: Nano 24g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HairlessPotter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Going to need help from experienced people! Please subscribe. I've been looking into getting a reef tank going for a while and I finally found a great deal. Tomorrow I'm going to pick it up. It has upgraded lights (not sure specifically) and is up and running with a little live rock. I'll go get a test kit tomorrow and maybe more live rock. Idk what's done with the filter so ill see tomorrow. Anything else I need right away? Any good mods I should plan on doing? Thanks in advance

What all will I need to mix water for water changes and any other maintenence stuff? I wanna have everything I need

I personally use a bucket and a power head. Put the water in put in a power head and heater then salt and let it mix. I use a refractometer to make sure salinity matches and also use a thermomoter to get temp to the same as well. Is there any livestock in the tank? Will be able to help more once I know what u r getting. Are u taking buckets to transport water home in?

No livestock. Just sand and one small peice of cool shaped live rock. Ya I'm going to bring buckets, plus its only about a ten minute drive away. So its just tank, light, water, sand, stock filter (im assuming), and a small peice of live rock

Sounds great! I just did the same thing, but with a 30! Ill be following, and learning, and helping, and....ya!

HairlessPotter said:
Sound good to me!

So what kind of deal did you get? I got a 30, stand, 2x65 watt t5ho fixture, live sand and protein skimmer for a solid 200! He is also going to give us some bangaii cardinals once were all set and cycled!

Gboy66 said:
So what kind of deal did you get? I got a 30, stand, 2x65 watt t5ho fixture, live sand and protein skimmer for a solid 200! He is also going to give us some bangaii cardinals once were all set and cycled!

That's awesome! I'm getting everything I mentioned before for 150. I wanna figure out what kind of lighting it is, I'll see tomorrow.

HairlessPotter said:
That's awesome! I'm getting everything I mentioned before for 150. I wanna figure out what kind of lighting it is, I'll see tomorrow.

Sounds good, hopefully it can support some easy corals! Or, if it doesnt, i guess you could buy a second light of the same quality?

These are the pictures he sent me. No fish though. Light looks big. Idk much about lights though, any input?

Attachments

• IMG_3236.jpg
    IMG_3236.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_6531.jpg
    IMG_6531.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_8373.jpg
    IMG_8373.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 131
HairlessPotter said:
These are the pictures he sent me. No fish though. Light looks big. Idk much about lights though, any input?

My god that light is huge!! Couldnt he have found somthing to fit the tank at least?!? Hahah i dont know what it would be, but it doesnt look to bad. Thats a nice piece of coral that you got though

Gboy66 said:
My god that light is huge!! Couldnt he have found somthing to fit the tank at least?!? Hahah i dont know what it would be, but it doesnt look to bad. Thats a nice piece of coral that you got though

Hopefully is does good, I want cool corals. And what is it? I don't know many corals yet

HairlessPotter said:
Hopefully is does good, I want cool corals. And what is it? I don't know many corals yet

Well the live rock is a very nice shape, and on the left side there seems to be a neon tipped torch coral? Others correct my observation if its wrong

Gboy66 said:
Well the live rock is a very nice shape, and on the left side there seems to be a neon tipped torch coral? Others correct my observation if its wrong

I'll look that up, thanks

Man I'm gonna be busy. I'm looking into an ro/di unit, anybody know a cheap one? Also really want a refugium. How can I do this in a nano 24?

Sorry just saw the pic. It does look like a jbj and with out the exacts on the light I would say u can do softies for sure. Until u get q rodi u could just get the water from a grocery store its what I do for .29 a gallon. U can do a fuge with just the back of ur cube. Check out mediabaskets.com

Back
Top Bottom