First Tank? 75 or 40?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foofoodar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am lost as to where I want to begin in this hobby, I've always wanted a salt water tank, but I can't decide if I want to start with a 40B and a 20L Sump, or a 75 Gal with an unknown sump size?

I have been doing all my research towards the 40b, mainly because I figure I can always go bigger down the road, but my main worry is will a 40b be enough for the fish I want to stock?

So far I'd like to get:

MUST HAVES:

Flame Angel
2 Clowns
Goby & pistol shrimp pair
bicolor blenny
Emerald Crab
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

LIKES BUT DON'T HAVE TO HAVE:

Cleaner goby or maybe 2?
Purple Firefish
Ruby Brittle Star

I know there should probably also be some snails & hermit crabs in the tank as part of the cleanup crew, but not really sure on that or how many or what types I would need or should get...

Right now I can get a Marineland 75 Gallon for $100.00 new, just the tank, not drilled, no stand, I can also get a 40B for $60.00 and I know going with the 40B all of the other parts will not cost as much as it would to get the 75 up and going.

So to get to the point, would a 40B be okay for the list of fish and other items I have above, not much interested in corals at the moment, once I get further into the hobby I may get some corals...

Thanks!

IMO, Bigger is always better. But spending less is also good. Really, this comes down to how much you want to spend, both in time, and resources. A bigger tank will cost more in resources, but (in the long run) less time. A smaller tank takes less resources, but (again, in the long run) more time. Also to consider is, where will you put the tank? The tank sizes you have are going to weigh no less than 600 lbs. And if that doesn't shock you, that's more than a of quarter ton. So, weight can end up being an issue. That, and this thing is going to be 4 feet long. So, consider the tank weight and dimensions into consideration when choosing. Lastly, check your fish's compatibility. Angels can get aggressive, and if you aren't careful, you'll be stuck with a tank with dead fish and an angry angel. Hope this helps at all! And keep asking questions! The only bad question is a question not asked.

P.S.:I also see you're sticking with a flame angel. My research indicates it needs nothing smaller than 60 gallons. So if anything else I've said doesn't help, then go with the 75 gallon. Bigger, larger amounts of fish, more expensive, less maintenance time.

While it is more money now I say go with the bigger. Upgrading often is a pain in the butt - cycling everything , watching everything and the possibility of having 2 tanks up and running. (Unless you plan on upgrade and keep the old)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If the fish I want would be okay in a 40B than I probably won't have any plans to upgrade, I am okay with the smaller tank, it is going in my basement, on a concrete slab so no concern about weight, I like the idea of having an open setup with the sump because I like to watch the mechanics of everything work and I think it would be educational for my kids, plus the fish are cool!

I am concerned about the marineland 75 Gallon tank as I have read some bad reviews on marineland and am concerned about the quality compared to the 40B which I would get from Aqueon.

I purchased a few books and have been reading them:

Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life

And I am concerned about the Flame Angel now because this book says minimum recommended size is 20 Gallons:

Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life

Ditch the cleaner gobies and I see no problem with your stock list. If it's going to be a reef, the angel may nip corals (will most likely own the tank reef or not so should be added last). You could replace the cleaner goby with something, a wrasse would be my choice.

Ditch the cleaner gobies and I see no problem with your stock list. If it's going to be a reef, the angel may nip corals (will most likely own the tank reef or not so should be added last). You could replace the cleaner goby with something, a wrasse would be my choice.

Are the cleaner gobys not good for any particular reason with the other fish I have?

So what kinds of snails, hermit crabs, etc. do I need in a 40B to keep it clean and how many as I assume a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp and a Emerald crab will not be enough?

Personally, I love marineland and never have had an issue with them.
As for a CUC, you should get, for a 40, three blue leg hermit crabs, and 3 snails of any combination. Also, a great consideration is mangrove shoot. Just pop a pair of them into your sump, and it'll help with nitrates. And it's good to know you have a well set spot for the tank. Go for the 40, and you could always upgrade if you want later on.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I think I may run out this weekend and pick up the 40B and a 20L, a semi-local pet store has Aqueon 40B for $59.00 and 20L for $40...

Petco doesn't even stock Aqueon anymore around here, and they want $119.00 for a Tetra 40B

Back
Top Bottom